Should We Phase Out Alcohol?

2 hours ago, retep said:

Slowly slowly catchee monkey how many pubs are left, I remember reading in I think it was a book called The Great Deception, "how can we get the British out of the pubs they'll never stand for it" well they've closed most of the pubs.

Wetherspoons and other large pub chains are opening numerous pub restaurants.

34 minutes ago, retep said:

Pubs have closed due to the price of a pint, cheaper in the supermarket, also notice the alcohol content in the supermarket has fallen,  slowly slowly.

I can assure you that the one pub that has closed in Totley is because it had been handed over to a series of managers who couldn’t run a tap.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Well the youngster must also be loaded or not drink as much because myself & a few mates worked out if we were to have a pint, (the cheapest we could see at the time & this was a few months ago), in every pub from the Jaberwocky, (technically London Rd.) to the Broadfield, it cost someone in the region of £80.

It's a good run these days but expensive.  Not that we've done the full run. I'll wait till my numbers come up.  

The younger generations are nicknamed by many ‘Generation Sensible’ — they don’t drink, don’t smoke, etc.

Coffee shop culture has taken over from pub culture for those generations. 

6 hours ago, El Cid said:

Wetherspoons and other large pub chains are opening numerous pub restaurants.

Wetherspoons have been dramatically reducing their portfolio for the last few years — they’ve become a victim of too much expansion, especially in areas where they have opened several pubs in a short distance from one another.

Sheffield hasn’t felt the reductions yet — I wouldn’t be surprised to see them reduce their portfolio in the city at some point soon.

11 hours ago, retep said:

Slowly slowly catchee monkey how many pubs are left, I remember reading in I think it was a book called The Great Deception, "how can we get the British out of the pubs they'll never stand for it" well they've closed most of the pubs.

My bold. 

Still waiting to find out who  "They've or they" are? 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

Still waiting to find out who  "They've or they" are? 

For the thick amongst us  THEY'VE  is meaning the British government.

Banning can all get a bit hysterical. For example, ‘Absinthe has often been portrayed as a dangerously addictive psychoactive drug and hallucinogen, which gave birth to the term "absinthism".[11] The chemical compound thujone, which is present in the spirit in trace amounts, was blamed for its alleged harmful effects. By 1915, absinthe had been banned in the United States and in much of Europe, including France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, and Austria-Hungary, yet it has not been demonstrated to be any more dangerous than ordinary spirits. Recent studies have shown that absinthe's psychoactive properties (apart from those attributable to alcohol) have been exaggerated.’

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe

• Like 1

On 19/05/2024 at 00:52, SheffieldForum said:

The younger generations are nicknamed by many ‘Generation Sensible’ — they don’t drink, don’t smoke, etc.

Coffee shop culture has taken over from pub culture for those generations. 

Wetherspoons have been dramatically reducing their portfolio for the last few years — they’ve become a victim of too much expansion, especially in areas where they have opened several pubs in a short distance from one another.

Sheffield hasn’t felt the reductions yet — I wouldn’t be surprised to see them reduce their portfolio in the city at some point soon.

Don’t fall for the generation myths https://www.research-live.com/amp-page.html?id=5089592&name=the-generation-myth

https://www.vice.com/en/article/ae8kxe/are-we-the-first-generation-to-be-criticized-by-our-elders-for-being-too-boring

And if there is any truth in ‘generation sensible’ I suspect it has more to do with the cost of living and higher education (and possibly more young people from religious backgrounds that don’t drink) than a trend for being sensible.

Also, I suspect the coffee shop culture will not last unless the coffee shops up their game.  There are a lot of them around selling not very good coffee.  And many of other drinks they sell are absolutely loaded with sugar  https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/iced-coffee-sugar-coke-health-b2367340.html .

9 hours ago, redruby said:

Banning can all get a bit hysterical. For example, ‘Absinthe has often been portrayed as a dangerously addictive psychoactive drug and hallucinogen, which gave birth to the term "absinthism".[11] The chemical compound thujone, which is present in the spirit in trace amounts, was blamed for its alleged harmful effects. By 1915, absinthe had been banned in the United States and in much of Europe, including France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, and Austria-Hungary, yet it has not been demonstrated to be any more dangerous than ordinary spirits. Recent studies have shown that absinthe's psychoactive properties (apart from those attributable to alcohol) have been exaggerated.’

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe

It's still sold and drunk in quite a few places. I can't see any difference with it except for having a lot more units per bottle.

17 hours ago, retep said:

For the thick amongst us  THEY'VE  is meaning the British government.

So when someone says ‘They do or They’ve done it, they (meaning them), means the government, which makes ‘them’ very busy little bee’s.