Should We Phase Out Alcohol?

On 18/05/2024 at 17:49, crookesey said:

I can assure you that the one pub that has closed in Totley is because it had been handed over to a series of managers who couldn’t run a tap.

Seems to be common these days  . The pub bosses hand over the keys to anyone.

They up the rent they charge tennants until they can't make it pay and leave, then put in cheap "temps" who run a pub down, then they close it, send teams in to "refurbish" it, then re-open it as a plastic "themed" bar - usually aiming at the youth market.

On 18/05/2024 at 16:50, Baron99 said:

Well the youngster must also be loaded or not drink as much because myself & a few mates worked out if we were to have a pint, (the cheapest we could see at the time & this was a few months ago), in every pub from the Jaberwocky, (technically London Rd.) to the Broadfield, it cost someone in the region of £80.

It's a good run these days but expensive.  Not that we've done the full run. I'll wait till my numbers come up.  

In Wetherspoons yesterday the round cost £26, in the Panenka bar the same round cost £44, guess who's round it was in the Panenka.

Swings and roundabouts, we go out to enjoy ourselves.

On 18/05/2024 at 16:20, Baron99 said:

It is funny that pubs have closed but the likes of Abbeydale Road now has more bars, (I wouldn't call them pubs apart from the Broadfield), than it's ever had in its history. 

Tastes change, and there's nothing wrong with that, but ever since the cave men, man has used whatever ways he could to ease / escape 'reality.'

'Drug' use has always been a part of the human condition,  be it the Native American's with their 'peace pipe.' or the Victorians with Opium and Laudenum.

Trying to ban alcohol would be a non starter - look what happened in America during prohibition...

59 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Tastes change, and there's nothing wrong with that, but ever since the cave men, man has used whatever ways he could to ease / escape 'reality.'

'Drug' use has always been a part of the human condition,  be it the Native American's with their 'peace pipe.' or the Victorians with Opium and Laudenum.

Trying to ban alcohol would be a non starter - look what happened in America during prohibition...

As the great philosopher Homer Simpson once said, "To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems,"

1 minute ago, Baron99 said:

As the great philosopher Homer Simpson once said, "To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems,"

I’ll drink to that. 👍

• Haha 1