Should We Phase Out Alcohol?

4 hours ago, El Cid said:

Plans to stop young people born since 2009 ever smoking/drinking are to be debated and voted on later.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68816566

Rishi Sunak's bill aims to create the UK's first smoke-free generation in a major public health intervention.

The Tobacco and Vapes Bill would ensure anyone turning 15 from this year would be banned from buying cigarettes, and also aims to make vapes less appealing to children.

A number of Tory MPs have told the BBC they won't back the bill.

Drinking isn’t mentioned in that article.  It’s just about smoking.  I hate smoking but I’m not sure the ban on cigarette smoking is a good plan.  Smoking is on a steep decline amongst young people anyway and isn’t viewed as ‘cool’.  Unlike vaping.  There’s a strong possibility of smoking becoming ‘cool’ again if this ban is brought in.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crookesey said:

Well pubs would suffer, as would brewers, distillery’s, vintners, off licences, supermarkets, restaurants and bars, not to mention the tax-man, IMHO it would be political suicide for any party stupid enough to endorse such a move:loopy:

It would, but that's not how they operate is it? Half the things that are now banned were never mentioned in any party political manifesto, they happen without discussion after the party is voted in, by which time there's nothing you can do about it.

All adults should be treated the same in law.  It is ludicrous to have a different law for someone born on 31st December 2008 to  someone born on 1st January 2009.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redruby said:

Drinking isn’t mentioned in that article.  It’s just about smoking.  I hate smoking but I’m not sure the ban on cigarette smoking is a good plan.  Smoking is on a steep decline amongst young people anyway and isn’t viewed as ‘cool’.  Unlike vaping.  There’s a strong possibility of smoking becoming ‘cool’ again if this ban is brought in.  

They will try and ban a 'cool' thing, and another will come along. Always has, always will.

Hard drugs are illegal, people get those.

Owning an unlicensed gun is illegal, people get those.

I doubt kids will have too much trouble getting a pack of cigs or a vape!

I really don't know what's going through the heads of the muppets that run this country, or may run the country. We have much more serious issues to address, rather than silly vote hunting ideas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Draggletail said:

The linked article doesn't mention drinking, I did a search of the page to confirm.

I did assume that people would have seen the news.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, zach said:

They will try and ban a 'cool' thing, and another will come along. Always has, always will.

Hard drugs are illegal, people get those.

Owning an unlicensed gun is illegal, people get those.

I doubt kids will have too much trouble getting a pack of cigs or a vape!

I really don't know what's going through the heads of the muppets that run this country, or may run the country. We have much more serious issues to address, rather than silly vote hunting ideas.

Should be quite easy to bring some over, duty free, or they could incorporate the drugs in ciggarettes into vapes.

7 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Silly comparison.  Alcohol has positives.

Smoking has absolutely none.

That’s very simplistic as it’s obvious that both alcohol and nicotine provide a way of relaxation to those who choose one or the other or both.

As for negatives,I would argue that both can be damaging to ones own health .

As for others ,Smoking is much maligned for the possible effects of passive smoking but this must now be much reduced with the smoking bans indoors and public places.

I would argue that alcohol related costs to others is much the greater whether to health services or the many anti social aspects of drunken behaviour.

• Like 2