Should We Phase Out Alcohol?

6 hours ago, Delbow said:

Having a moderate amount of alcohol elevates your mood above baseline, smoking doesn't. Having a smoke generates relief from minor withdrawal, not pleasure. If I were to hit a Tory in the head with a hammer every five minutes but then pause for an hour, are they enjoying that hour, or just relieved? 

And anyway, as you were born before 2009 you are free to smoke.

You are really struggling to differentiate between the any difference derived from nicotine and alcohol.Probably because there is none

17 minutes ago, RJRB said:

You are really struggling to differentiate between the any difference derived from nicotine and alcohol.Probably because there is none

They are very different.  Where they can get away with it smokers lurk in doorways, bus stops etc and puff their fumes at passers by.  Some still walk around in busy areas blowing their fumes around for passers by to breathe in.  In days gone by a large percentage of people smoked. Even if you didn’t smoke you couldn’t avoid it. It was on public transport and in workplaces .  Drinking certainly can have negative consequences for passers by if someone is completely drunk and aggressive but most of us are capable of drinking socially without getting into a complete state.

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

Of course there is. For most smokers, the pleasure of smoking a fag or a vape comes from the feeding of an addiction, in other words the brain is sending messages to get some nicotine onboard asap because it has become habituated to it. This is the case for all smokers except those that might associate having a smoke with going to the pub or whatever. Whereas alcohol use is usually something that takes place in discrete parts of the day or evening and is not in the service of an addiction for most people.

21 hours ago, El Cid said:

I did assume that people would have seen the news.

I was referring to the fact that you misquoted the article that you linked to i.e

Plans to stop young people born since 2009 ever smoking/drinking are to be debated and voted on later

Why would you include drinking when it isn't in the article? It's misleading. Others have also pointed that out.

19 hours ago, Delbow said:

No-one actually enjoys smoking though. For smokers, smoking simply brings their mood up to a non-smokers' baseline, which they may experience as enjoyment.

That sounds just like a quote from the book "Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking" which I read  about 28 years ago. I finished the book, went to the park and threw what was left of a packet of cigs in the river. I haven't had a cigarette since. I had a thirty a day habit. Ugh.

5 hours ago, Ridgewalk said:

Unless you become psychotic and paranoid

That happened to someone I know. He self harmed in such a horrific way it's hard to comprehend. I don't think he'll ever be mentally well enough to leave the psychiatric unit he's in.  He was a pretty heavy user. Or maybe it would have happened anyway and is unrelated... still... I did used to enjoy a space cookie or a joint years ago but to be honest sometimes it could change my personality. I stopped and wouldn't start again. Maybe I got lucky... It would be interesting to know how many cannabis users succumb to mental disorders, if that's possible to quantify.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Draggletail said:

That sounds just like a quote from the book "Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking" which I read  about 28 years ago. I finished the book, went to the park and threw what was left of a packet of cigs in the river. I haven't had a cigarette since. I had a thirty a day habit. Ugh.

Nice one, although I shall have to execute you for the littering 😉

10 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Nice one, although I shall have to execute you for the littering 😉

😂 - To be honest I don't know why I didn't just put them in the bin! Throwing them in the river over the bridge at a favourite place seemed significant, like marking an end to something! 😁

• Like 1