Should We Phase Out Alcohol?

1 hour ago, Draggletail said:

I was referring to the fact that you misquoted the article that you linked to i.e

Why would you include drinking when it isn't in the article? It's misleading. Others have also pointed that out.

It was not a quote, I wanted people to concider both smoking and drinking.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, El Cid said:

It was not a quote, I wanted people to concider both smoking and drinking.

It read, and presented as if the drinking was from the article that you quoted. As I said, it has confused others. They have commented on it.  If you wanted people to 

concider both smoking and drinking

then fair enough, and maybe you didn't quite get what you intended to say just right. I'm not here to fall out with you. Happy to put an end to this if you are.  :)  

1 hour ago, Draggletail said:

It read, and presented as if the drinking was from the article that you quoted. As I said, it has confused others. They have commented on it.  If you wanted people to 

then fair enough, and maybe you didn't quite get what you intended to say just right. I'm not here to fall out with you. Happy to put an end to this if you are.  :)  

More serious things to fall out over  :)

5 hours ago, Delbow said:

Of course there is. For most smokers, the pleasure of smoking a fag or a vape comes from the feeding of an addiction, in other words the brain is sending messages to get some nicotine onboard asap because it has become habituated to it. This is the case for all smokers except those that might associate having a smoke with going to the pub or whatever. Whereas alcohol use is usually something that takes place in discrete parts of the day or evening and is not in the service of an addiction for most people.

As the brain seems to send a message to some that they need a drink .Not a thirst quenching glass of water ,but for the effects of the alcoholic content,and whilst I accept that many can enjoy a drink without being anti social,you cannot escape the truth that many drink to alter their normal state of mind.

I would also contend that those that do drink to excess cause far more cost and trouble to both the NHS and the police.

6 hours ago, redruby said:

They are very different.  Where they can get away with it smokers lurk in doorways, bus stops etc and puff their fumes at passers by.  Some still walk around in busy areas blowing their fumes around for passers by to breathe in.  In days gone by a large percentage of people smoked. Even if you didn’t smoke you couldn’t avoid it. It was on public transport and in workplaces .  Drinking certainly can have negative consequences for passers by if someone is completely drunk and aggressive but most of us are capable of drinking socially without getting into a complete state.

You have thrown a fair few pejorative terms in there directed at smokers.As you say in a period of a very few years the anti smoking lobby have successfully mounted a campaign that has alienated smokers even in the open air.

There are smoking and none smoking areas that I abide by and you should live with.

As someone who rarely has a drink nowadays I find the company of those who are under the influence rather boring.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Draggletail said:

That happened to someone I know. He self harmed in such a horrific way it's hard to comprehend. I don't think he'll ever be mentally well enough to leave the psychiatric unit he's in.  He was a pretty heavy user. Or maybe it would have happened anyway and is unrelated... still... I did used to enjoy a space cookie or a joint years ago but to be honest sometimes it could change my personality. I stopped and wouldn't start again. Maybe I got lucky... It would be interesting to know how many cannabis users succumb to mental disorders, if that's possible to quantify.

23 hours ago, Draggletail said:

That happened to someone I know. He self harmed in such a horrific way it's hard to comprehend. I don't think he'll ever be mentally well enough to leave the psychiatric unit he's in.  He was a pretty heavy user. Or maybe it would have happened anyway and is unrelated... still... I did used to enjoy a space cookie or a joint years ago but to be honest sometimes it could change my personality. I stopped and wouldn't start again. Maybe I got lucky... It would be interesting to know how many cannabis users succumb to mental disorders, if that's possible to quantify.

Ayup. I can’t claim to be particularly knowledgeable on the topic of cannabis and mental ill health and have no feelings one way or another towards the drug. I worked for almost 40 years in Mental Health and have some experience of negative effects of cannabis and its relationship to psychotic illness.

Edited by Ridgewalk
  • Like 1

On 17/04/2024 at 21:13, RJRB said:

As the brain seems to send a message to some that they need a drink .Not a thirst quenching glass of water ,but for the effects of the alcoholic content,and whilst I accept that many can enjoy a drink without being anti social,you cannot escape the truth that many drink to alter their normal state of mind.

I would also contend that those that do drink to excess cause far more cost and trouble to both the NHS and the police.

You have thrown a fair few pejorative terms in there directed at smokers.As you say in a period of a very few years the anti smoking lobby have successfully mounted a campaign that has alienated smokers even in the open air.

There are smoking and none smoking areas that I abide by and you should live with.

As someone who rarely has a drink nowadays I find the company of those who are under the influence rather boring.

They tend not to have do much problem end  in Mediterranean countries don’t they?  I believe that’s at least partly due to culture and having a more relaxed attitude to drinking.  Banning and restricting drinking doesn’t tend to end well.  

I’m sorry if I offended you regarding the smoking comments.  They were not directed at you personally or indeed all smokers.  Unfortunately though, there ARE still a lot of anti social smokers (and increasingly vapers) around.  Those of us who don’t smoke and vape often have to breathe these fumes in on a daily basis whether we like it or not.  Excess drinking is a problem but it tends to be at night and around bars and clubs.  Unlike smoking.  A lot of smokers and vapers still think it’s perfectly fine to stand at bus stop and blow their fumes around other people.  Or lurk in a doorway to a building smoking so other people have no choice but to walk past.  
Of course I know traffic fumes and other pollution are also a problem but that doesn’t make smoking and vaping around people OK.  I also know that excess drinking is harmful but that doesn’t make smoking OK either.  Alcoholics may drink at a bus at 7am but the vast majority of normal drinkers do not.  Smokers positively enjoy that morning cigarette though and some just don’t care about others passive smoking as a result.

I’m not much of a drinker but I don’t agree with the ban.  If a ban ever becomes law I’m going to buy as many buckets and barrels as I can to sell on the black market for all of those who will be making there own alcohol. 

It feels a little bit like Saudi Arabia where alcohol is banned, although I’m not sure if they have now relaxed the law a bit on the sale of alcohol.

We seem to be living more and more in a nanny state.