Should We Phase Out Alcohol?

17 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I’m not much of a drinker but I don’t agree with the ban.  If a ban ever becomes law I’m going to buy as many buckets and barrels as I can to sell on the black market for all of those who will be making there own alcohol. 

It feels a little bit like Saudi Arabia where alcohol is banned, although I’m not sure if they have now relaxed the law a bit on the sale of alcohol.

We seem to be living more and more in a nanny state.

Alcohol hasn’t been banned, it’s only smoking being banned for young people born after a certain date.  This thread ought to be re-titled really.  Some people are comparing alcohol to tobacco but the usage of these products is very different as mentioned in previous posts.

27 minutes ago, redruby said:

Alcohol hasn’t been banned, it’s only smoking being banned for young people born after a certain date.  This thread ought to be re-titled really.  Some people are comparing alcohol to tobacco but the usage of these products is very different as mentioned in previous posts.

I’m aware alcohol hasn’t been banned at the moment, but because I don’t watch political programmes these days I wasn’t even sure if a ban on alcohol for certain age groups has been talked about by government, similar to the smoking ban.  

If people want drink and smoke themselves to death let em,  no one has forced them to do it,   its just self inflicting an early death, if they don't care why should anybody else.  :roll:

I certainly

3 hours ago, redruby said:

They tend not to have do much problem end  in Mediterranean countries don’t they?  I believe that’s at least partly due to culture and having a more relaxed attitude to drinking.  Banning and restricting drinking doesn’t tend to end well.  

I’m sorry if I offended you regarding the smoking comments.  They were not directed at you personally or indeed all smokers.  Unfortunately though, there ARE still a lot of anti social smokers (and increasingly vapers) around.  Those of us who don’t smoke and vape often have to breathe these fumes in on a daily basis whether we like it or not

Firstly ,I am not at all in favour of a ban on alcohol which is very much part of a social life for many.

I come from a time when a night in the pub meant going to the local playing snooker,cards darts etc and smoking was also very much part of the scene .The presence of smokers never deterred non smokers at that time but I accept that attitudes have changed as a result of  a relentless campaign.

So I smoke when I feel like one and away from others and that could well include as I wander from one place to another and the occasional scowl from another pedestrian is just a fact of life.If I nip out from a restaurant for a cig then I usually am around fellow smokers or away from others.I really can do no more.

So carry on drinking responsibly and I will do my best with my habit.

The proposed legislation will have no effect at all on myself and I doubt that it will have on a couple of people born one day apart.

Should the discussion extend to those who can eat crisps and chocolate and popcorn and where they may be consumed.

I thinking trumping in a public place should be outlawed as well.

I can put up with smoking and drinking, but people "Letting one off" should be illegal.

It's a vile and obnoxious habit.

Why should I have to breath in the contents of a sprout filled stomach?

And these "trumpers" are brazen enough to stand there after the deed is done smirking at everyone.

Their no better than a farmyard animal.

Disgusting!

11 minutes ago, Padders said:

I thinking trumping in a public place should be outlawed as well.

I can put up with smoking and drinking, but people "Letting one off" should be illegal.

It's a vile and obnoxious habit.

Why should I have to breath in the contents of a sprout filled stomach?

And these "trumpers" are brazen enough to stand there after the deed is done smirking at everyone.

Their no better than a farmyard animal.

Disgusting!

Just when we were starting to become friends you go and disappoint me like that.

😆 

It's an art form that should be embraced.

Edited by Al Bundy
  • Haha 1

Women in the north-west of England say they feel unsafe after videos taken of them on nights out without their knowledge

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) says it is actively working to catch the people making the videos. Officers are being briefed on the situation ahead of their shifts. GMP said although it is not illegal to film people in public, if the action is causing distress or harassment it could be considered criminal.

Perhaps its a little off topic, but does drinking alcohol destroy brain cells? Are the police now sanctioning people for things that are NOT against the law?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-68826423

23 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

If people want drink and smoke themselves to death let em,  no one has forced them to do it,   its just self inflicting an early death, if they don't care why should anybody else.  :roll:

Self harm’s not the only consequence of substance misuse