No More Fa Cup Replays

6 hours ago, iansheff said:

Well we can't have the big clubs overpaid players getting worn out, they need all their energy for the European trophy competitions, are they not altering the format meaning more matches? They are not bothered about the fans and the clubs outside of the Premier League, all they are bothered about are the big clubs, sooner they disappear off into a European Super league the better. 

Folks thinking that the clubs will disappear into a super league will be disappointed.  The clubs will not leave their domestic leagues, however it will become secondary.

What a rotten decision to further devalue the FA Cup and rob football fans of clubs outside the elite  few of the matches that bring excitement and revenue to their clubs.

The sooner that these elite club create their Super League and competitions the better for the rest of football.

No more replays from the 1st Round proper due to the demands of European Football.

How can teams from League 1, League 2 and non-league playing in the 1st Round be causing a problem for European football?

Watched the news tonight & they interviewed the Chairman of Cray Valley Paper Mills F.C. who managed to get a 1 - 1 at Charlton.  The following reply at Cray Valley, Cray Valley were hammered 1 - 6 but their Chairman explained that even those 2 games against might Charlton brought in over £120,000 that's kept the club solvent & allowed them to develop facilities. 

I also remember watching the reply on tv between Bristol City v West Ham.  First game, 1 - 1 draw.  Reply, 1 - 0 Bristol City.  West looked a bit sorry for themselves that night & I can't remember who the pundit was but he said something along the lines of, "Well your average Premiership player doesn't like coming to grounds like this on a cold January night." 

Says it all.   But sadly that's the way of the world.  The money talks. 

I'd you gave me the option of the Blades winning the FA Cup or staying in the Premiership, I'd take the Premiership any day with all the many, many more millions that the club could receive. 

• Like 1

So far 2 clubs ( Grimsby and Tranmere) have officially condemned the change.

It would be interesting what would happen if clubs decided to boycott the FA cup next season . They’d have plenty of support from proper football fans if they did.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, atticus said:

So far 2 clubs ( Grimsby and Tranmere) have officially condemned the change.

It would be interesting what would happen if clubs decided to boycott the FA cup next season . They’d have plenty of support from proper football fans if they did.

Chris Wilder has also.

I'm one of the older generation who remembers the FA cup for what it was..

Waiting for the cup draw, glued to the radio, after the draw was made word passed around everyone, the excitement had begun.

If you've never experienced "Cup Fever" you've never lived.

I cried when the Owls lost to Everton, after being 2 goals up in 66.

Sadly the younger generation of supporters just aint bothered.

The greatest competition ever, now on it's last legs.

• Like 2

The FA might as well curl up and die, the way it allows the Premier League to dictate the terms of its own competition. The arrogance is breathtaking in the way it’s just announced out of the blue, no wider discussion, no consultation. Just do as you’re told.

• Like 4

I'd much rather that the had FA said to the PL - "Look, this is our competition, we negotiate the TV revenue of this prestigious competition - if you don't like the rules, then don't take part".  Then see who wanted to miss out on the prestige, revenue etc.. 

Man Utd got serious flack the year they decided not to take part.  Who would do the same now?  I'd like to bet none of them!

Imagine if one of the top few decided not to enter one year, then finished with no trophy, and no Champions League place, then had to watch on from the sidelines, knowing they had not even bothered to take part in the FA Cup!

• Like 3