Demolished Sheffield

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

Where was this ? 

It was in Haymarket, between Dixon Lane and Exchange Street (the site later occupied by Woolworth's, then Wilko). Here is an early 1900s interior view.

Norfolk_3_1906.jpg

2 minutes ago, hillsbro said:

It was in Haymarket, between Dixon Lane and Exchange Street (the site later occupied by Woolworth's, then Wilko). Here is an early 1900s interior view.

Norfolk_3_1906.jpg

Got it now . Thank you :thumbsup:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, hillsbro said:

Norfolk_3_1906.jpg

That takes me back to the days of my youth hillsbro.

There was a stall in there which bought and sold books which I used to visit on a Saturday with my cousin.

Bought ‘Classic comics’ from there and still have about a dozen of them.

I think the big round edifice in the centre of the hall was a fountain.

Thank you, echo.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, echo beach said:

That takes me back to the days of my youth hillsbro.

There was a stall in there which bought and sold books which I used to visit on a Saturday with my cousin.

Bought ‘Classic comics’ from there and still have about a dozen of them.

I think the big round edifice in the centre of the hall was a fountain.

Thank you, echo.

Yes, it takes me back as well! The secondhand book stall was that of Frank Woore (1876-1953). It continued in the same name after he died, and it eventually moved to the basement of the Castle Market, still in the same name, until the 1980s. The stall also sold stamps for collectors, and the last owner was Ian Uttley, who later had a stamp shop in the Granby Arcade in Bakewell. Here is a list of Norfolk Market Hall stallholders in the 1954 Kelly's Directory.

Norfolk Market Hall 1954.jpg

• Like 1