Fat Cats, Getting Fatter?

5 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Problem is that people like yourself like to compare  us with Leeds and Manchester.

They are larger cities in terms of the city region population they serve. Leeds city region has a population of circa 3 million and Manchester is 2.8 million. Whereas Sheffield is around 1.6 million.

Comparisons with places twice your size aren’t fair ones, are they?

Levels of government funding tend to reflect population, so naturally Leeds and Manchester get more than we do and will look to have more happening in terms of public funded projects etc.

Holy smoke. I thought Sheffields population was about 600,000 .

52 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Holy smoke. I thought Sheffields population was about 600,000 .

It is. 

I’m talking about the city region, which is something different.  One explanation is:

Typically, it denotes a city, conurbation or urban zone with multiple administrative districts, but sharing resources like a central business district, labour market and transport network such that it functions as a single economic unit

Government tends to hand transport funding out on a regional basis. With the advent of devolved funding, it’s usually to the combined authority. 

The point is that the nearby cities that people often compare us to,  Leeds and Manchester, often get a lot more transport funding than SYMCA, because they are significantly bigger in population terms. 

4 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

It is. 

I’m talking about the city region, which is something different.  One explanation is:

Typically, it denotes a city, conurbation or urban zone with multiple administrative districts, but sharing resources like a central business district, labour market and transport network such that it functions as a single economic unit

Government tends to hand transport funding out on a regional basis. With the advent of devolved funding, it’s usually to the combined authority. 

The point is that the nearby cities that people often compare us to,  Leeds and Manchester, often get a lot more transport funding than SYMCA, because they are significantly bigger in population terms. 

That’s ok . I wasn’t questioning you , I was shocked at the number you gave.