Fat Cats, Getting Fatter?

24 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

Why does the Chief Executive of the council and others get paid more than a Member of Parliament and the Prime Minister?

As HeHasRisen has pointed out if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.  

Suppose you have to add in all the extras the PM gets. Accommodation etc etc, to get a proper comparison.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Suppose you have to add in all the extras the PM gets. Accommodation etc etc, to get a proper comparison.

Yes I thought about that also I’m sure MPs can have second jobs, not sure about that tho. But it does seem strange that the PM gets paid less than the Council Chief Executive.

2 hours ago, hauxwell said:

Why does the Chief Executive of the council and others get paid more than a Member of Parliament and the Prime Minister?

As HeHasRisen has pointed out if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.  

And because the comparison should be between the PM and civil servants eg a good dozen of civil servants working for Network Rail and on HS2 are on over £300k, top one £650k.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/senior-officials-high-earners-salaries

Edited by Longcol
  • Thanks 1

Those salaries can in no way be justified when today we have food banks, folks on the street and poverty in and amongst a lot of communities. Fair comment that folks in such positions should be paid accordingly, but those salaries are more than ridiculous !!

• Like 4

Thing is that top execs could quite easily go into the private sector and earn a lot more than £250k. We need quality running this fine city and have to pay accordingly.  I know tradesmen earning £200k a year with nothing like the levels of responsibility of people like KJ.

• Like 2

Personally, I really disagreed with Kate Josephs remaining Chief Exec after the Covid parties scandal…

…but, I was convinced by a number of business leaders, charity heads and others I spoke to who said she is the first Chief Exec to come in and actually make a difference for them and their organisations.

There’s a lot of people in Sheffield — many who were previously convinced that the Council were completely awful and beyond saving — who will defend Kate Josephs and the difference she has made in a short time. 

So, on that basis I’m happy to give the benefit of the doubt to her right now.

And I’m sure she could make well over £250k in the private sector if she wanted.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Personally, I really disagreed with Kate Josephs remaining Chief Exec after the Covid parties scandal…

…but, I was convinced by a number of business leaders, charity heads and others I spoke to who said she is the first Chief Exec to come in and actually make a difference for them and their organisations.

There’s a lot of people in Sheffield — many who were previously convinced that the Council were completely awful and beyond saving — who will defend Kate Josephs and the difference she has made in a short time. 

So, on that basis I’m happy to give the benefit of the doubt to her right now.

And I’m sure she could make well over £250k in the private sector if she wanted.

What are the differences she’s made ?

7 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

On the topic though - I have no qualms with these salaries personally

Agree with the principe but those salaries are obscene for the role.

public or private sector - once you get to the top table it’s money for contacts,

come out of a chief exec job from a major contractor - why not become chief exec for the council letting the contracts - given all your previous experience of “delivering” public realm projects. I don’t mean to say it’s owt dodgy - just a very easy shift.

The major contractor went bust “oh it was market forces - but now I’m here to deliver for the public”

the boys and girls a few ranks below in both departments - on a quarter / third of the salary would prob be best positioned to move things forward - but after the new chief exec fails - they can always go  and say “well I’ve ran major contractors and also ran a local authority so I’m best places for the role as government advisor…….

Edited by Mkapaka