Most Fish & Chip Shops Not The Same Anymore ?

Sadly there not…

It’s the same has everything nothing is like it used to be…

For me the downfall of good chippies was when they stopped allowing them to be wrapped in newspaper….

When I was a boy in the seventies I could go to the chippie with nothing in my pocket and get a load of scraps covered in salt n vinegar including ketchup for absolutely nothing wrapped in newspaper for me it just added to the taste and it was so authentic….

loved it I really did….

• Like 1

On 08/05/2024 at 13:49, Box11 said:

Sadly there not…

For me the downfall of good chippies was when they stopped allowing them to be wrapped in newspaper….

When I was a boy in the seventies I could go to the chippie with nothing in my pocket and get a load of scraps covered in salt n vinegar including ketchup for absolutely nothing wrapped in newspaper for me it just added to the taste and it was so authentic….

loved it I really did….

newsprint trade is kept going by the chip shops who buy  plain  newsprint paper  to wrap  stuff in ... 

• Like 1

On 08/05/2024 at 13:49, Box11 said:

Sadly there not…

loved it I really did….

It’s becoming a hypocritical nanny state, they allow us to buy cigarettes and alcohol but demand manufacturers reduce sugar and salt etc oh but if we decide to pay the sugar tax we can still get a normal carbonated drink.

8 hours ago, mafya said:

It’s becoming a hypocritical nanny state, they allow us to buy cigarettes and alcohol but demand manufacturers reduce sugar and salt etc oh but if we decide to pay the sugar tax we can still get a normal carbonated drink.

2 hours ago, hauxwell said:

I agree with mafya about a nanny state.  At times I think health and safety has gone a bit to far.

Weirdly an American explained this really very well:

Because we have "free" universal healthcare it's in the Governments interest to promote and push a healthy living lifestyle, it keeps us from needing treatment, which in turn keeps costs down.

In the States healthcare is for profit, so it is in their interests for people to get fat as all hell, smoke and drink themselves stupid and need costly ongoing care.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/05/2024 at 11:56, SheffieldForum said:

It is a chain indeed — hence why it is so surprising that it is so good.

They will never be as good as the old independent chippies of old…

These new ones don’t cut it for me all there fish,sausage.fish cakes and so on all look exactly the same….

The independent ones from old every food item was different no fish looked the same hence why they were so “authentic” and really really good….

Maybe I’m getting too old but like I’ve said nothing is the same…

I also remember KFC there only used to be one shop in Sheffield in Firth Park and it was lovely the many KFC shops nowadays are dreadful to say the least….

20 minutes ago, Box11 said:

They will never be as good as the old independent chippies of old…

These new ones don’t cut it for me all there fish,sausage.fish cakes and so on all look exactly the same….

The independent ones from old every food item was different no fish looked the same hence why they were so “authentic” and really really good….

Maybe I’m getting too old but like I’ve said nothing is the same…

I also remember KFC there only used to be one shop in Sheffield in Firth Park and it was lovely the many KFC shops nowadays are dreadful to say the least….

Honestly, give Mother Hubbards a try. Yes, its a chain but it is very traditional and as close as you'll get to the old day's fish & chips (or what you'd get at the seaside).

You're right about KFC, when it was Kentucy Fried Chicken and there were only a few of them, the chicken was lovely with a crispy coating. Now they are just greasy and horrible. The burgers are the best thing from KFC now (especially the Zinger Tower burgers), the 'original recipe chicken just isn't worth getting any more.