Most Fish & Chip Shops Not The Same Anymore ?

11 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

All interested parties, have a read. 

https://britishseafishing.co.uk/brexit-and-britains-fisheries/

See what we gave up from the parties that matter. 

It makes much of the small quota left to the UK fishing fleet whilst we were still in the EU but fails to mention anything about UK fishers selling the quotas they'd been allocated to foreign companies and UK governments taking to action to prevent them from doing so. (UK governments could, for example, have specified that the quotas remain property of the UK state and will be reallocated if no longer used by whoever it was allocated to.)

The UK fishing industry shot itself in the foot with that, just as they did by becoming a figurehead for a brexit which cut them off from their main market - because in the main, British people don't eat British fish.

• Like 2

Service charge - You tell me, it's the death toll brought in by "Just Eat" to try and prop up their diminishing sales, I generally don't order from takeaways that use this CON. but.................

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Baron99 said:

If you're in town, Brenda's Fish & Chips on Earl Way, just behind The Moor. 

Traditional as they come, you can sit in if you like & get a cuppa as well but as others have said, it's the cost that's hitting the traditional fish & chip shop.  All the people involved in the process of bringing that fish to the plate, need to make a living. 

You don’t need to spend days out in the dangerous North Atlantic or Arctic waters to net & land a kabab & pitta bread. 

Brendas Chippy is like something in a third world country  but the food is spot on  :thumbsup:

11 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Yay more good old fashioned faux patriotic foreigner bashing, well done for shoehorning it into a new topic

Explain further.  Expand your contribution. 

Edited by Baron99

15 hours ago, Draggletail said:

Is the service charge mandatory? If not, is it common to get the service charge?

It’s not mandatory, but it’s a way of squeezing more profit out of the consumer. What with that and a delivery charge it hikes the price of your takeaway by quite a bit, especially if like me you’re only ordering for one person.

If you contact the takeaway directly and place your order and then collect it yourself then the extra charges don’t apply. Indeed, some places are now saying if you order with them directly there’ll be a discount, which in reality is the percentage they would have been charged by the ordering “service”.

• Like 1

You need a bank loan to buy owt from most chippies these days, I make my own,  as long as you get the batter right your on to a winner, plain flour and bit of salt and pepper,  then jobs a gooden and far cheaper.  :hihi:

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

You need a bank loan to buy owt from most chippies these days, I make my own,  as long as you get the batter right your on to a winner, plain flour and bit of salt and pepper,  then jobs a gooden and far cheaper.  :hihi:

Can't remember last time I visited a Chippy..

Birds eye, or Youngs fish fillets from Iceland, Aunt Bessies frozen oven chips, some onion rings, and a dollop of BBQ sauce on em.

Cheap as chips..

• Like 1