Any Suggestions? re: Rail Strikes

Get a train to Birmingham, which will still be running from Llandudno Junction. Look at National Express options from there, or other operators who may still be operating further south from there (if any)

Edited by HeHasRisen

17 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Actually, you have made a possibly valid assumption, as I forgot to explain I am not returning to Sheffield, but actually going to Brighton (Sussex) on that day, via Avanti West Coast and Thameslink.

That does change things a bit. :)

TfW and TransPennine could get you to Doncaster. From there, LNER to London and Thameslink to Brighton should be doable.

5 minutes ago, altus said:

That does change things a bit. :)

TfW and TransPennine could get you to Doncaster. From there, LNER to London and Thameslink to Brighton should be doable.

They could - but that means totally re-booking my return journey, no doubt at an increased cost, and travelling for a looong time - the initial planned route was long enough, but bearable.

Change of train company or route

You may be able to use your ticket on another train company or an alternative route. Please check for ticket acceptance information on the train company's website or contact them for more details. 

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

You may be able to use your ticket on another train company or an alternative route. Please check for ticket acceptance information on the train company's website or contact them for more details. 

Where was that? It is a good suggestion, thanks, but could be a little tricky, and I bet it is a hellishly long journey.

Fortunately, a very good friend of mine is an ex-BR manager with an encyclopedic knowledge of the system, so I may ask him - although I would prefer to to just do the planned route the day after, for obvious reasons.

19 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Don’t shoot the messenger here, but ticket acceptance is normally only in operation for unforseeable disruption like flooding, derailments or suicide. Strike action which is published at least the mandatory 2 weeks in advance won’t be included.

Another option for RollingJ would be train to Cardiff, then there’s a national express every 90 minutes to London, and then to the south coast from there.

3 minutes ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

Don’t shoot the messenger here, but ticket acceptance is normally only in operation for unforseeable disruption like flooding, derailments or suicide. Strike action which is published at least the mandatory 2 weeks in advance won’t be included.

Another option for RollingJ would be train to Cardiff, then there’s a national express every 90 minutes to London, and then to the south coast from there.

I thought that was the case, @YorkieontheTyne. Interesting responses on here - thanks all - but I'm hoping to be able to extend my stay in Llandudno by a day, and then travel on the Thursday. Means re-jigging a couple of things, but hopefully...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

I thought that was the case, @YorkieontheTyne. Interesting responses on here - thanks all - but I'm hoping to be able to extend my stay in Llandudno by a day, and then travel on the Thursday. Means re-jigging a couple of things, but hopefully...

Nowt like re-jigging a couple of things in Llandudno😜.