Where Should The Tram Extend To?

Just now, Pyrotequila said:

Would there not be enough space alongside the existing railway tracks?

There are a few places where it narrows, existing bridges for example, but surely if they can do HS2 across half the country, they can widen some bridges?

I'd not even considered that. You make a fair point. 

it needs to go from herdings to jordanthorpe ,batemoor,lowedges,meadowhead that would add lots of passengers due to football ,st james shopping centre and help the south of the city, it could follow the dual carrageways to the areas

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bassett one said:

it needs to go from herdings to jordanthorpe ,batemoor,lowedges,meadowhead that would add lots of passengers due to football ,st james shopping centre and help the south of the city, it could follow the dual carrageways to the areas

But...but...but... , it wouldn't go down my road, so I won't use it. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ads36 said:

the problem with extending the Herdings line to Meadowhead, is that you'd be sat on the tram for 20 mins, and still be no nearer the city centre, so what's the point?

The point is this great suggestion could take a considerable amount of cars etc off the road which surely is the main point of the exercise? r Run properly the good folk of NE Derbyshire might be persuaded to use a park and ride scheme ? 

• Like 1

Just now, Man in Crete said:

The point is this great suggestion could take a considerable amount of cars etc off the road which surely is the main point of the exercise? r Run properly the good folk of NE Derbyshire might be persuaded to use a park and ride scheme ? 

And therein lies the rub. Plus, and this often forgotten, Sheffield is built on hills, which can condiderably slow down a fixed-rail transportation 'system'.

16 minutes ago, Man in Crete said:

The point is this great suggestion could take a considerable amount of cars etc off the road which surely is the main point of the exercise?

you'd get more people using this hypothetical tram from Meadowhead, if it went down Chesterfield road, more or less directly to the City centre.

the 'herdings extension' makes pragmatic sense, but would be a *much* slower route = fewer people would use it.

in this future world, cars would get a nice direct route to Sheffield, Trams would have to go all the way to Manor Top  before finally heading towards Sheffield.

this mindset, of pushing the alternatives out the fringes, so as not to inconvenience the important car drivers, is exactly why we've become car-dependent.

we're either interested in change, or we're not.

(fwiw, i don't think the trams will be coming to meadowhead, ever. If they do, it will be via Herdings Park - it *is* the pragmatic choice)

4 hours ago, Grumpycatweasel said:

nowhere, Sheffield would benefit more with a mono rail & cable car 

A Monorail was seriously considered, but the plans scrapped, just before I arrived in Sheffiled.

Thus far, there's been a couple of suggestions, but the Cablecar hasn't got off the ground (yet).

Can the existing routes handle a greater frequency of trams?

The reason I ask is because some of the trams are full to capacity at rush-hour, meaning that simply extending the line, without increasing capacity will not work.