Preppers & Survivalists

Like most people, i used to think the doomsday preppers were conspiracy theory nutjobs and paranoid nerds. But, looking at what's happening in the world, i'm no longer 100% convinced that they are totally wrong.

I've been looking into a bit recently and it does make you think - everything from it might be useful finally learning some first aid and having a stock of medical supplies to considering becoming a bit more self-sufficient.

As SF is (fairly) anonymous, i wondered if there were any forummers who are preppers, whether it be casual or taking it more seriously. Would be interesting to get some insight and discuss a few things.

I want this to be a semi-serious thread i.e. no ridicule - i'm not trying to quell free speech, i just don't want it to descend into insults from those who think it's daft. I have a genuine curiosity and the only way to gain knowledge of it is to discuss it properly.

58 minutes ago, spilldig said:

They have been doing this for many years in America and they are still waiting. Personally I don't think it's worth doing.

But is that opinion based solely on the idea of armageddon? I used to think it was, but having watched/listened to some bits, they prep for a whole host of reasons, right down to things like when there's a fuel/food shortage or a financial crash.

We've seen what it's like when people panic buy and the shelves are empty. Would it really hurt just to have an extra stockpile of tinned/dried goods as well as grow your own?

I believe in been self sufficient were possible no harm in buying medical items or growing food if you can.  The way are things are going both on a  domestic  level and internationally it's not looking good I'm not into the world is ending thing but more to do with what's happening.  Preparing is fine if not over done.

• Like 1

Planet is goosed. Personally I think its drifting towards the sun, aka "The Day The Earth Caught Fire" and we're not being told.

I'm just glad I've got 20 years left in me tops, because I can't see the Earth having more than 50.

Been preparing since just before convid.

We have a store room at home with tins, jars and dried goods, gas, small stoves and heaters and other items including medical supplies, generator on the garden and easy access to a few thousand in cash which I keep in the office a short walk from here.  Started stocking up for the inevitable price hikes and its served us well and still does. The generator has been used during the multiple power cuts we've had. 

The family thought I was bonkers but I don't care. We are well stocked up and in theory could live without leaving the house for several months 👍

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Been preparing since just before convid.

We have a store room at home with tins, jars and dried goods, gas, small stoves and heaters and other items including medical supplies, generator on the garden and easy access to a few thousand in cash which I keep in the office a short walk from here.  Started stocking up for the inevitable price hikes and its served us well and still does. The generator has been used during the multiple power cuts we've had. 

The family thought I was bonkers but I don't care. We are well stocked up and in theory could live without leaving the house for several months 👍

I was going to mention you . 😃 By the way, how many power cuts have you had ?

Just now, hackey lad said:

I was going to mention you . 😃 By the way, how many power cuts have you had ?

Last year, 6 iirc thankfully none so far this year but now I've said that I sure we'll get a couple in the coming days 😬