Preppers & Survivalists

59 minutes ago, rogets said:

Genz and house prices, everything is pro rata

I bought my first house for £24,000 and I was only earning £5 per hour, so work that out over 40 hours per week.

It was a struggle for the current crop of middle aged people.

We weren't drinking lattes, no, we were off to the pub supping pints

In about 1960, average house price was 4 times average earnings. Now it's 9 x average earnings

15 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Will Gen Z not benefit from massive inheritance from houses now being worth 3 times more than they did 20 years ago and predicted to go even higher?

What did Gen Z do to deserve that apart from luck?

As long as neither old Mum or Dad need a care home, in which case there will be no inheritance...

Gen Z deserve to enjoy the same benefits we had growing up such as 'free' education, 'free' health care and all the benefits of a welfare system that was hard fought for and won, I thought, in perpetuity. Working hard was worth it because you could really achieve something. We'd been invested in and anything was possible. Most of all we felt safe and valued, we had hope for the future, something in very short supply these days...

( - And don't say we can't afford it. If we could afford it then, post war, we could afford it now, as many Scandinavian countries still do, and are happier for it.)

It's the 40 years of Thatcherism and Tory cuts that has put paid to it.

Yes Gen Z are whinging and a bit useless (possibly because they were spoilt rotten?)

But I 'm not surprised they're bitter. It's all been taken away from them by the change in the economic ethos. But they are blaming the wrong people. 

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Anna B said:

As long as neither old Mum or Dad need a care home, in which case there will be no inheritance...

Gen Z deserve to enjoy the same benefits we had growing up such as 'free' education, 'free' health care and all the benefits of a welfare system that was hard fought for and won, I thought, in perpetuity. Working hard was worth it because you could really achieve something. We'd been invested in and anything was possible. Most of all we felt safe and valued, we had hope for the future, something in very short supply these days...

( - And don't say we can't afford it. If we could afford it then, post war, we could afford it now, as many Scandinavian countries still do, and are happier for it.)

Yes Gen Z are whinging and a bit useless (possibly because they were spoilt rotten?)

But I 'm not surprised they're bitter. It's all been taken away from them by the change in the economic ethos. But they are blaming the wrong people. 

Gen Z do have the same benefits as the other generations.

You do know that Scandinavian countries have a much higher suicide rate than us?

What have Gen Z had taken from them, what did I have (Gen X ) that they don't?

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Agreed , 40 years of neo liberal, free market idelogy and fundamentalism  has effected the spirit and values of the nation and not in a good way.  A fundamentalist belief that says  private good public bad

Edited by Ridgewalk
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Gen Z do have the same benefits as the other generations.

You do know that Scandinavian countries have a much higher suicide rate than us?

What have Gen Z had taken from them, what did I have (Gen X ) that they don't?

A chance to reap the rewards of hard work

Free education

Cheap housing

Affordable cost of living

Affordable car usage + holidays etc....

A few examples