'Snooker And Sheffield Go Together Hand In Glove'

1 minute ago, Mkapaka said:

Year after year this comes up and everyone just talks about nostalgia and sentimentality and how it “belongs” here.

I don’t necessarily disagree but why don’t we do something proactive about it.

expand the crucible - build a snooker hub  door with a museum hotel restaurant. Hold darts there aswell z

make it so no other destination could possibly compete not only with the history but also the facilities. 

or wait for it to go one day.

My bold - How? There is no room.

8 minutes ago, Mkapaka said:

Make room. Doesn’t have to be attached to the existing building. Can do anything with time and money.

Your said above: 'expand the crucible - build a snooker hub  door with a museum hotel restaurant. Hold darts there aswell '

6 hours ago, Mkapaka said:

Year after year this comes up and everyone just talks about nostalgia and sentimentality and how it “belongs” here.

I don’t necessarily disagree but why don’t we do something proactive about it.

expand the crucible - build a snooker hub  door with a museum hotel restaurant. Hold darts there aswell z

make it so no other destination could possibly compete not only with the history but also the facilities. 

or wait for it to go one day.

With what money though? The council is basically staving off bankruptcy year after year, so it's entirely dependent on someone thinking they can make a profit on any new premises.

I haven’t wrote a business plan for it - but there’s obviously money to be made from snooker otherwise the other places looking to take it on wouldn’t be interested.

likewise you’d have to factor in the cost / benefit of losing it and the economic and publicity benefits we would lose. 

As for where it would fit - there’s plenty of ways with a bit of vision by brighter minds than mine. 

what about utilising the O2 building across the road with a bridge access - or using the library building and relocating that? That was planned for a hotel not to long ago.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Your said above: 'expand the crucible - build a snooker hub  door with a museum hotel restaurant. Hold darts there aswell '

I know what I said and I’ve now explained what I meant 

Well as they say, every day's a school day; you live & learn, etc. 

A few hours ago, heard Barry (build me a 3,000 seater snooker arena) Hearn on Radio Sheffield once again going on about how he'd love to stay in Sheffield because of tradition & history, blah, blah, blah.  He also said that if he asked the top 16 snooker players if they'd like to stay in Sheffield or play the tournament abroad & earn 3 to 4 times as much because of a larger arena with more seats, generating a larger prize found, Hearn said to a man, "All 16 would be grabbing their passports."   So it's about having a larger venue in Sheffield then, to keep the tournament here?

The Hearn interview was followed by another with a man, (didn't catch his name? who has something to do with the venue down the East end called the Well as they say, every day's a school day; you live & learn, etc. 

A few hours ago, heard Barry (build me a 3,000 seater snooker arena) Hearn on Radio Sheffield once again going on about how he'd love to stay in Sheffield because of tradition & history, blah, blah, blah.  He also said that if he asked the top 16 snooker players if they'd like to stay in Sheffield or play the tournament abroad & earn 3 to 4 times as much because of a larger arena with more seats, generating a larger prize found, Hearn said to a man, "All 16 would be grabbing their passports."   So it's about having a larger venue in Sheffield then, to keep the tournament here? 

The Hearn interview was followed by another with a man, (didn't catch his name? who has something to do with the venue down the East end called the Canon Medical Arena, home of the Sheffield Sharks.  Not being a follower of basketball, I must admit, I'd not heard of this sporting facility.  But guess what, it's capacity is 3,000 seats. 

Furthermore, the guy said that World Snooker hierarchy had been down there a few months ago & put a couple of snooker table in to try the venue out & it was considered a success. However, Hearn has never been near the place....Hmmm? 

Something tells me that Hearn is just bluffing when he keeps going on about a 3,000 seater stadium to keep the game in Sheffield, when we already have one.  

It's looking more & more that Hearn wants a way out of Sheffield & is looking for someone to blame, like SCC, so he can walk away while trying to save face & play the victim card? 

• Like 1

has any one been or seen that new arena thats been on tv in manchester thats whats needed to hold big events,not a old  ,tatty crucible .many players said what a mess , plus horrid parking and road systems blame the council for not attracting investment other city do it.

34 minutes ago, bassett one said:

has any one been or seen that new arena thats been on tv in manchester thats whats needed to hold big events,not a old  ,tatty crucible .many players said what a mess , plus horrid parking and road systems blame the council for not attracting investment other city do it.

Yes, because that new Arena in Manchester has gone well so far...

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, bassett one said:

You mean a 24k seater "out of city centre" arena they are charging £9 a pint at, and £25 to park the car at?

Far too big to hold an event like this, may as well have it at the Arena.

• Like 3