'Snooker And Sheffield Go Together Hand In Glove'

it will go abroad or manchester we are years behind and these players today expect top hotels, top areas to practice and  been looked after, and we cannot provide that and money always wins in the end. i am not saying the crucible and snooker is finnished but it looks old and needs replacing as does many other stadiums like attercliffe stadium where singers/bands are on ,its old why sing there when manchester is far better,it past wake up time for this city i am afraid

16 hours ago, Mkapaka said:

Just been a great piece on the crucible in the mid session interval.

One of our councillors was on talking about the millions of pounds in brings into the city - let’s get some of it spent now and bank them millions for years to come.

Much of that money won't go directly to SCC but into city center businesses who already pay business rates.  I saw a clip during the snooker on Sunday where the owner of Marmadukes on Norfolk Row was interviewed & he said the 2 weeks the snooker is at the Crucible is a tremendous financial boost to the business at this time of year. 

5 minutes ago, bassett one said:

it will go abroad or manchester we are years behind and these players today expect top hotels, top areas to practice and  been looked after, and we cannot provide that and money always wins in the end. i am not saying the crucible and snooker is finnished but it looks old and needs replacing as does many other stadiums like attercliffe stadium where singers/bands are on ,its old why sing there when manchester is far better,it past wake up time for this city i am afraid

I think we're in danger of talking ourselves down.

Sheffield has what Manchester doesn't, which is a history of hosting World Snooker. 

So what if a couple of snooker players are bellyaching about Sheffield....Lots of the top seeded snooker players have stood up for Sheffield this week, and said it's ridiculous to dismiss Sheffield, and that snooker should stay at the Crucible.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I think we're in danger of talking ourselves down.

Sheffield has what Manchester doesn't, which is a history of hosting World Snooker. 

So what if a couple of snooker players are bellyaching about Sheffield....Lots of the top seeded snooker players have stood up for Sheffield this week, and said it's ridiculous to dismiss Sheffield, and that snooker should stay at the Crucible.

It’s been held in Manchester and the roof leaked.

• Haha 1

I think some people on here would love it if Sheffield lost the World Snooker.

Then they could gloat about how right they were about Sheffield being a rubbish city.

1 minute ago, Jim Hardie said:

It’s been held in Manchester and the roof leaked.

I didn't know that.... lol. 

So much for Manchester being wonderful. :hihi:

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Much of that money won't go directly to SCC but into city center businesses who already pay business rates.  I saw a clip during the snooker on Sunday where the owner of Marmadukes on Norfolk Row was interviewed & he said the 2 weeks the snooker is at the Crucible is a tremendous financial boost to the business at this time of year. 

I know. But you needed businesses to pay the business rates. So if marmadukes don’t get the boost anymore and close down - that’s less revenue for the council isn’t it?

2 minutes ago, Mkapaka said:

I know. But you needed businesses to pay the business rates. So if marmadukes don’t get the boost anymore and close down - that’s less revenue for the council isn’t it?

Well Marmadukes aren't suddenly going to go bust.  They do trade for the other 50 weeks of the year.