'Snooker And Sheffield Go Together Hand In Glove'

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Well Marmadukes aren't suddenly going to go bust.  They do trade for the other 50 weeks of the year. 

The point I’m making is not about marmadukes cafe - it’s the wider impact on the city centre. 

People complain about the town centre not being up to scratch but you need to attract businesses there - and the snooker is not all but part of the attraction of sheffield city centre. 

it brings money into the city whether it goes directly to the council or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, butlers said:

Long piece in todays Daily Telegraph  about if it may move.

Let's face it.  2028, it'll be somewhere else.  This nonsense about SCC. (Sheffield council tax payers), fully or partially funding & building a 3,000 seater arena at the request of Barry Hearn is just a bit of a smokescreen.   If SCC fall for that & build such a place, 10 years from now, Hearn will be, we need a10, 000 seater venue.  As I wrote the other week, the man in charge of the Canon Medical Arena on Worksop Rd, capacity 3,000, said while people from snooker's hierarchy had put a couple of tables in to test if the wooden floor could take the weight, which it did & appear to meet all the other required tournament criteria, Hearn hasn't been anywhere near the arena. 

I blame the journalists.  They've had plenty of opportunity over the past fortnight to ask Hearn directly, "What's wrong with this 3,000 seater stadium?"

Hearn's a businessman at the end of the day.  He wants to make money, keep a firm hold of his snooker interests & as he said, ensure that he gets the most money for the top players.  I've no problem with people making money but don't start a protracted exercise where Herne & the top players are looking for a way out by playing the victims, while making SCC the villain, when in reality Hearn wants to take the whole circus to Saudi or China to play in front of 20,000 & where if you're sat at the back of the arena, you'll need a pair of binoculars to see the table. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been to at least one session of snooker at The Crucible every year since Mike Watterson first introduced it.

That is purely to taste the atmosphere because let’s face it the best view is on the television.

It is the relative intimacy of the theatre that makes it special so the thought of sitting on row Z in a 2000 plus seater stadium has no attraction for me at all.

I have the same feeling about major artists and bands in the big stadiums.

The best gigs that I have been to range from pubs to the likes of The City Hall,Leadmill and paying hundreds of pounds to watch big TV screens in arenas is always lacking that buzz.

However,money will talk and a 3 week event cannot justify a purpose built setting costing millions.

If there was a profit to be had then World Snooker would build its own purpose built arena in London or wherever for all of its tournaments.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

we may not build a stadium for snooker but many countrys would, lets be honest the crucible needs re-bulding the arena needs re-building , we are a dated city and need investment, we need access to town , we need a busy city centre, but its a mess

4 hours ago, bassett one said:

we may not build a stadium for snooker but many countrys would, lets be honest the crucible needs re-bulding the arena needs re-building , we are a dated city and need investment, we need access to town , we need a busy city centre, but its a mess

Sorry but yet another ridiculous comment! When was the last time you ventured to the  crucible? Did you go see Richard Hawleys master piece? Did you venture to any production? No I bet is the answer? 
The big money in snooker has moved on whether we like it or not. It’s a bit like the premier league ….. money talks . It is unreasonable to expect scc to splash cash they haven’t got for 3 weeks of glorified pot black in my view. Let it go and concentrate on investing elsewhere in the city . It’s time to face reality and look for alternatives cos little sheffield will have all on competing with them Chinese or Saudis

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, bassett one said:

it will go abroad or manchester we are years behind and these players today expect top hotels, top areas to practice and  been looked after, and we cannot provide that and money always wins in the end. i am not saying the crucible and snooker is finnished but it looks old and needs replacing as does many other stadiums like attercliffe stadium where singers/bands are on ,its old why sing there when manchester is far better,it past wake up time for this city i am afraid

They've built a new venue in Manchester, it's not going very well - hasn't Geoff told you about it

The snooker isn't going to the Co-op Live Arena in Manchester ffs, it's already been explained to you it's about eight times too big than the actual capacity needed. 

21 hours ago, RJRB said:

I have been to at least one session of snooker at The Crucible every year since Mike Watterson first introduced it.

That is purely to taste the atmosphere because let’s face it the best view is on the television.

It is the relative intimacy of the theatre that makes it special so the thought of sitting on row Z in a 2000 plus seater stadium has no attraction for me at all.

I have the same feeling about major artists and bands in the big stadiums.

The best gigs that I have been to range from pubs to the likes of The City Hall,Leadmill and paying hundreds of pounds to watch big TV screens in arenas is always lacking that buzz.

However,money will talk and a 3 week event cannot justify a purpose built setting costing millions.

If there was a profit to be had then World Snooker would build its own purpose built arena in London or wherever for all of its tournaments.

My bold. 

I was watching the tv on Sunday Morning, 'Sunday Brunch' was on & they were interviewing Chaser, Jenny Ryan, who'd been to the Crucible the day before.  She said she was a big snooker fan & goes to a number of tournaments but there's absolutely none to match the atmosphere of the Crucible.