Police Boxes.

There’s still one on Surrey Street next to the town hall although it’s now green and white.

My mate paid a visit to it in the ‘60s after being detained for putting a cenotaph wreath around his neck and dancing down Barkers Pool.

Well, it was the era of ‘flower power’!😃

I also think there was one on London Road near the Locarno. Strategically placed for turning out time.

echo.

3 hours ago, beezerboy said:

As I remember there was one at the corner of Sedan St and Lyons Rd in the 50--60s, opposite All saints church

It was actually on Ellesmere Road just up from the urinal at the corner of Sedan Street and bang opposite the Mormon church.

spacer.png

6 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

It was actually on Ellesmere Road just up from the urinal at the corner of Sedan Street and bang opposite the Mormon church.

spacer.png

On 25/04/2024 at 15:56, Magneteer said:

I don't remember one on the S bend, but there was also one on Rivelin Valley Rd at the bottom of Hollins Lane by the bridge.

Yes, I remember it well; it is marked "P C B" on this 1950s map. I was told that it met its demise when a runaway vehicle came down the hill opposite and shunted it neatly into the river!

74 AJ - Copy.jpg

Edited by hillsbro
  • Like 1

I think there was one at Meadowhead. Where the large roundabout is, used to be a cross roads. Backed onto the Transport Sports Ground.

When Dr Who was filmed in Sheffield a couple of years ago it would have been a respectful nod to the past if they'd used the one on Surrey Street in their filming. 

• Like 1