Recorded Delivery Post

Should the postman knock on the door for a signature for recorded delivery?  Sometimes they do but other times they just post it through the door without knocking.  Looking at the tracking it has a signature (not mine) but with my name printed underneath.  I’m not too bothered about as long as I get my post but am wondering whether there’s any point using recorded delivery if the recipient doesn’t sign for it themselves.  

This isn’t about Special Delivery that is tracked and costs more, it’s the Recorded Delivery service.

I thought that's what they did.

Recorded Delivery is not necessarily about the actual named recipient signing for it as long as somebody at the address or premises signs for receipt of it.  

However, if you are suggesting that it just got shoved through your letterbox and the postman themselves signed the recorded delivery tracker, that definitely does not sound right.   

Do you live in some apartment block or shared house?  If somebody else living at your address or location signed for it, that sounds more likely.

3 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

I thought that's what they did.

Recorded Delivery is not necessarily about the actual named recipient signing for it as long as somebody at the address or premises signs for receipt of it.  

However, if you are suggesting that it just got shoved through your letterbox and the postman themselves signed the recorded delivery tracker, that definitely does not sound right.   

Do you live in some apartment block or shared house?  If somebody else living at your address or location signed for it, that sounds more likely.

Yes, by ‘recipient’ I did mean anyone at that address. And no it’s not an apartment block or shared house,  I presume the signature was the postman’s.  I was in when I heard it come through the letter box so I know he didn’t knock.  It hasn’t particularly mattered about these particular items but it made me wonder what the point of Recorded Delivery is if postmen do this!  

It's something they started doing during lockdown so there wasn't any contact. 

RM said it was just for the period of lockdown but haven't recinded it. 

Technically it's fraud. The service the sender paid for is that the recipient signs for the delivery to verify reciept. 

That service isn't being fulfilled.