New Colours For First Buses In South Yorkshire

My main requests for bus colours would be 

a - colours that are easy to spot from a distance when it’s approaching

b - easy to distinguish between operators at a glance, rather than having to squint towards the number as it gets nearer

Some of the current buses pass both of these easily, e.g. Stagecoach Gold.

4 hours ago, Tipstaff said:

Great! All they need now is to run something like a 'service' schedule on time and they might get my custom again.  Time will tell!

Quite often, it is not the bus company's fault that services don't run on time - have you seen the amount of traffic on the roads?

Admittedly, some of the services have no 'padding' time to accommodate this unavoidable  disruption, but when they design the timetables, they do so assuming there is no other traffic on the roads - a certain other forum I frequent has many actual bus drivers on it, and you wouldn't believe how many complaints there are on there.

57 minutes ago, northernboy said:

My main requests for bus colours would be 

a - colours that are easy to spot from a distance when it’s approaching

b - easy to distinguish between operators at a glance, rather than having to squint towards the number as it gets nearer

Some of the current buses pass both of these easily, e.g. Stagecoach Gold.

a. Horrible as some of the liveries are, I don't think you can confuse an FSY vehicle with, for instance, an SSY one.

b. My eyes are not that good these days - an 'age' thing - but I don't 'squint' to see the service number.

Edited by RollingJ

51 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

b. My eyes are not that good these days - an 'age' thing - but I don't 'squint' to see the service number.

That’s good, and I hope you never have to. Particularly when I’m facing into the sun if it’s low in the sky, I sometimes confuse 25 and 75 until the bus gets closer.

I just meant that it’s more important to me to be able to tell them apart at a glance, rather than exactly what colours they choose.

8 minutes ago, northernboy said:

That’s good, and I hope you never have to. Particularly when I’m facing into the sun if it’s low in the sky, I sometimes confuse 25 and 75 until the bus gets closer.

I just meant that it’s more important to me to be able to tell them apart at a glance, rather than exactly what colours they choose.

I've noticed recently that First have updated their destination displays and started using a bolder font for the route number. 

Iirc they're also displayed on the side closest to the kerb 

Old way:  75 Shiregreen 

New way: Shiregreen 75

• Like 1

On 27/04/2024 at 08:57, RollingJ said:

Just one point - they aren't finished, no legal lettering, fleet numbers or 'company' ID.

Fleet numbers aside, there are legal requirements that every bus must show (externally or, if shown internally, wording visible externally):

a. the maximum seated capacity;

b. the weight; and

c. the legal owner's name/address.

4 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Fleet numbers aside, there are legal requirements that every bus must show (externally or, if shown internally, wording visible externally):

b. the weight; and

(a) has always been shown internally - you point to any vehicle on which it is external.

(b) and (c) will no doubt be applied when the fleet numbers are - they are usually vinyls - applied after the painting, but before the vehicle goes back into service.

17 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

b. the weight; and

Capacity isn't required externally, only internally.

Fleet numbers (if anyone is interested) 

SL67 VXA (prominantly pictured in the OP) - 35273
SL67 VWO (pictured in the background) - 35263

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

b. the weight; and

Looks to me like the vehicles were on private property when the photos were taken, so your comments about legal requirements are superfluous and dont apply.

• Like 1