Hoyle Street Works - Were You There?

Further to my previous post, look at photos u10411 & u10412 on picture Sheffield.

Southern and Richardson were cutlery manufacturers. The power for driving the grinding wheels and other machinery in the works was provided by a large Lancashire boiler, built between two blocks of shops. The boiler was due to be dispensed with and a powerful gas engine had been purchased to replace it. A leakage into one of the flues, however, was followed by an explosion, the effects being felt in two directions. Seven men and boys were killed in the explosion: -

Harry Dickinson, caretaker to the firm, aged 55

William Ward, aged 27, 8 court, 1 house, Bath Street

Herbert Arthur Lickfold, aged 24, until recently in the employ of Messrs Hattersley and Davidson

Albert Wharton, aged 15, 71 Burnt Tree Lane

John Whitehead, aged 54, 26 Shepherd Street

Frank Anderson, aged 15, 4 court, 3 house, Burnt Tree Lane

John Ellis, aged 40, carter, in the employ of Messrs Doncaster and Sons.

An inquest was held, the result being a verdict of accidental death in relation to all the victims, who had all died as a result of the injuries caused by the explosion, which itself was caused by a defective water gauge. No person was blamed for it.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hi PhotoJames, The .pdf file I have on Sheffield BISRA is 47,841 kb . Any idea how I can send it to you ?

John

Edited by johnpm

Many thanks to @vmam for your responses, that's really interesting. I shall look into this further. I did read about the 8 children who were killed when a wall collapsed nearby. It's amazing how much death and tragedy there has been in a such a small area. And I imagine this is not uncommon.

• 3 months later...
On 30/04/2024 at 22:31, RJRB said:

Daniel Doncaster’s made mainly Heat Resisting castings in Nickel Chrome alloys for furnace parts and furnace furniture.

The Hoyle Street Foundry originally used a bank of graphite crucibles capable of melting around 50 Kgs of metal per crucible.These were oil fired in the  1960s but historically I believe they used coke.

The metal was cast into sand moulds and fettled using hand and swing grinders.Although I worked in the Sales Office at Penistone at Penistone Rd I did few Saturday mornings at Hoyle St to earn a few extra quid overtime as a 20 year old.

I remember a few of the blokes who worked there doing some very hard graft on the furnaces and grinding in particular.Hot ,heavy and at times hazardous graft.

I suppose the works closed around 1970 and the business transferred to the main Penistone Rd site using HF melting.

I believe some of the old tackle was taken by Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet

Hi there. Picking up this thread again, @RJRB , you wouldn't have any details of those people who worked there, would you? I'm specifically looking for photographs of people working at the site. Many thanks.

21 hours ago, PhotoJames said:

Hi there. Picking up this thread again, @RJRB , you wouldn't have any details of those people who worked there, would you? I'm specifically looking for photographs of people working at the site. Many thanks.

I can remember a few names  but afraid I do not have any photos.

Bill Spivey,the nicest of men was the Foundry Manager and Tony Raitak of Polish origin was his Foreman.Stan Glasby,Arthur Smith ?and George Gooden were swing grinders and Pete Simpson one of the moulding team.

13 minutes ago, RJRB said:

I can remember a few names  but afraid I do not have any photos.

Bill Spivey,the nicest of men was the Foundry Manager and Tony Raitak of Polish origin was his Foreman.Stan Glasby,Arthur Smith ?and George Gooden were swing grinders and Pete Simpson one of the moulding team.

Thank you so much for your response! Would you be able to share contact details for these people, or pass this thread onto them?

Let me explain what I'm doing more; I'm creating artwork that mixes images of the site now with historical images. I've obtained some great images from Picture Sheffield, but it would be good to get other sources. I'd also like to hear the stories of the people who worked there, to add to the final output.

Many thanks!

33 minutes ago, PhotoJames said:

Thank you so much for your response! Would you be able to share contact details for these people, or pass this thread onto them?

Let me explain what I'm doing more; I'm creating artwork that mixes images of the site now with historical images. I've obtained some great images from Picture Sheffield, but it would be good to get other sources. I'd also like to hear the stories of the people who worked there, to add to the final output.

Many thanks!

@PhotoJames Regret not.

I was around 19/20 at the time and all the above would have been in their 40s or 50s. and I know for certain that at least a couple of those named have long since died.