Endcliffe Park Thuggery

Posted (edited)

Someone apparently interviewed by the Star suggested that if police had stepped in earlier to deal with anti social behaviour the situation wouldn’t have escalated. Nail on head for me. As far as I know the Safer Neighbourhoods Teams which were all over South Yorkshire were  disbanded several years ago. They would have been the perfect response to this situation. Apparently according to one contributor on this forum, that preventative style of policing has been abandoned in favour of 999 calls for « life and limb », responses.

Safer Neighbourhood Teams were very effeçtive in my experience but weren’t sexy enough for many police officers who wanted to deal with « proper crime » .

I think it’s vital that communities are involved in having a say in how they are policed 

Edited by Ridgewalk
….
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Oh great, they’ve been removed from Sheffield so somebody else’s problem now. Why haven’t they been removed from the country?

Typical of the police inspector to stick up for them. The guy who made the accusation of two tier policing was right.

They'd be someone else's problem wherever they are. Two tier policing is right though - the idea of a public meeting with police and council staff in attendance to hear the community's concerns about one antisocial family? The thought of that happening in Pitsmoor, Parson Cross or Arbourthorne is absolutely laughable. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, pfifes said:

Rumour has it they are being moved to Gleadless Townend area.

Apparently the latest news is they've been moved away from Sheffield. It was announced in the very recent meeting with S11 residents, representatives from the police and the council. It's also being brought up earlier on this thread, the latest post on the subject by SF Forum in a linked article from Sheffield Tribune, if I remember correctly. 

7 minutes ago, Delbow said:

They'd be someone else's problem wherever they are. Two tier policing is right though - the idea of a public meeting with police and council staff in attendance to hear the community's concerns about one antisocial family? The thought of that happening in Pitsmoor, Parson Cross or Arbourthorne is absolutely laughable. 

It will be interesting to see what happens in Gleadless Townend

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Draggletail said:

Apparently the latest news is they've been moved away from Sheffield. It was announced in the very recent meeting with S11 residents, representatives from the police and the council. It's also being brought up earlier on this thread, the latest post on the subject by SF Forum in a linked article from Sheffield Tribune, if I remember correctly. 

Apparently they are trying to hush up that they have been moved to another part of Sheffield.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Delbow said:

Always the case mate. I’m sure response times by the Police reflect that. I’m never quite sure what to think of the Police’s «class » position , social construction of crime and all that 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ridgewalk said:

Always the case mate. I’m sure response times by the Police reflect that. I’m never quite sure what to think of the Police’s «class » position , social construction of crime and all that 

I suspect there's a perception that people in the more deprived areas never report anything to the police, but I know that they do. It's just that once you've reported something a few times and got no response, a common reaction is to give up and just try to put up with it. At least where I live (Pitsmoor), the community does work together to try and sort things out, and I'm not talking about vigilante violence. That can and does sometimes work, but the more serious crime isn't really something you can deal with without support from the police, who often just aren't interested.

• Like 3

From an S11 FB group a few minutes ago:

"Sheffield City Council’s Interim Director of Communities, Lorraine Wood, said: “It was vital to attend Tuesday’s (7th May) community meeting with the residents of Ecclesall ward and listen to their accounts and concerns so we can work with them and offer reassurance that they are being heard. All reports of anti-social behaviour are taken seriously and we do understand the potential impacts this type of behaviour can have on individuals and communities.
“As was stated on Tuesday evening alongside representatives of our partners South Yorkshire Police, we cannot comment on individual cases and circumstances.
“However, we wanted to outline what we have been and continue to do in the area to offer reassurances to those who live and work there, as well as those who enjoy the beautiful surroundings of Endcliffe Park, that as a Council we take all instances of anti-social behaviour seriously. We encourage anyone who falls victim to such incidents to continue to report them to the authorities so that a complete picture can be built.”
For note:
  • Sheffield City Council has developed a new Anti-Social Behaviour Policy following public consultation which was formally adopted at the Communities Parks and Leisure Committee meeting in March this year (2024)
  • Additional Sustainable Communities Officer (Wardens) patrols have been in the area around Endcliffe Park and Ecclesall Road to provide visible assurance and to gather evidence as required
  • Youth Teams will be in the area linking with schools to ensure young residents feel safe walking to and from school and in the park itself
  • Money secured from the Safer Streets fund has been spent on an extension of CCTV coverage
  • Business Information Officers have been supporting businesses in the area
  • We continue to support South Yorkshire Police in any way we can with their enquiries"

31 minutes ago, Draggletail said:

From an S11 FB group a few minutes ago:

"Sheffield City Council’s Interim Director of Communities, Lorraine Wood, said: “It was vital to attend Tuesday’s (7th May) community meeting with the residents of Ecclesall ward and listen to their accounts and concerns so we can work with them and offer reassurance that they are being heard. All reports of anti-social behaviour are taken seriously and we do understand the potential impacts this type of behaviour can have on individuals and communities.
“As was stated on Tuesday evening alongside representatives of our partners South Yorkshire Police, we cannot comment on individual cases and circumstances.
“However, we wanted to outline what we have been and continue to do in the area to offer reassurances to those who live and work there, as well as those who enjoy the beautiful surroundings of Endcliffe Park, that as a Council we take all instances of anti-social behaviour seriously. We encourage anyone who falls victim to such incidents to continue to report them to the authorities so that a complete picture can be built.”
For note:
  • Sheffield City Council has developed a new Anti-Social Behaviour Policy following public consultation which was formally adopted at the Communities Parks and Leisure Committee meeting in March this year (2024)
  • Additional Sustainable Communities Officer (Wardens) patrols have been in the area around Endcliffe Park and Ecclesall Road to provide visible assurance and to gather evidence as required
  • Youth Teams will be in the area linking with schools to ensure young residents feel safe walking to and from school and in the park itself
  • Money secured from the Safer Streets fund has been spent on an extension of CCTV coverage
  • Business Information Officers have been supporting businesses in the area
  • We continue to support South Yorkshire Police in any way we can with their enquiries"

Sounds like the behaviour of this family went well beyond anti social behaviour. You’d expect police involvement in the case of physical assaults and thefts. 

• Like 2

If as was stated it was a Chinese student that was racially abused and seriously assaulted that won’t play out well in China and may have negative financial implications for the Universities and the City.

• Like 1