Aurora Over Sheffield! northern lights

4 hours ago, Colin Foster said:

Media doesn't help showing pictures of it from the night before and telling everyone it might happen again that night.

Cornwall must have been hell in 1999 for the eclipse!

A story about that eclipse:

My brother and some friends went down to Cornwall for it. 

The conditions were perfect — clear skies, bright sun, good weather… on fact almost too perfect. It was roasting, as silly lads on holidays do, they took their shirts off to get a tan.

This bunch of lads then all decided to have a few beers beforehand to enjoy the day. 

One of them had a few too many (couldn’t handle his drink) and fell asleep on a bench, with his hand across his chest.

Completely missed the eclipse, and when he woke up he had the perfect shape of his arm and hand across his chest in pale skin whilst the rest of him was burnt to a crisp. 🤣

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

A story about that eclipse:

My brother and some friends went down to Cornwall for it. 

The conditions were perfect — clear skies, bright sun, good weather… on fact almost too perfect. It was roasting, as silly lads on holidays do, they took their shirts off to get a tan.

This bunch of lads then all decided to have a few beers beforehand to enjoy the day. 

One of them had a few too many (couldn’t handle his drink) and fell asleep on a bench, with his hand across his chest.

Completely missed the eclipse, and when he woke up he had the perfect shape of his arm and hand across his chest in pale skin whilst the rest of him was burnt to a crisp. 🤣

Simply not true. I know, because I was there. It rained for most of the day.

14 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

Simply not true. I know, because I was there. It rained for most of the day.

Honest to god truth.

They weren’t at the lowest part of Cornwall, a little further up that had a far better view than those who chased the longest totality at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Honest to god truth.

They weren’t at the lowest part of Cornwall, a little further up that had a far better view than those who chased the longest totality at the bottom.

The zone of totality was well south. I saw the eclipse from Perranporth Beach.  The only time that I saw the sun that day was in a five minute window around the total eclipse. Thats because of a well established solar wing phenomenon.

It was grim weather all over Cornwall that day, as illustrated by the weather forecast I posted. Nobody was getting a sun tan. Your brother is having you on.

6 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

The zone of totality was well south. I saw the eclipse from Perranporth Beach.  The only time that I saw the sun that day was in a five minute window around the total eclipse. Thats because of a well established solar wing phenomenon.

It was grim weather all over Cornwall that day, as illustrated by the weather forecast I posted. Nobody was getting a sun tan. Your brother is having you on.

A solar wing phenomenon sounds great. Maybe I’ll invent one.

What I actually meant was “solar wind”, but I’m prevented from making a simple edit because of…. Well, I’ve no idea what.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

What I actually meant was “solar wind”, but I’m prevented from making a simple edit because of…. Well, I’ve no idea what.

Oh my Lord, he’s back . Be afraid. 😃

10 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

I hoped thought you'd left.

Welcome back. It's great to see you posting again.