One just flew into the kitchen. About twice as big as a wasp but with a yellowish-orange head. Has any one else seen one hereabouts?  I suppose it must be due to climate change as they are common in southern England.

2 hours ago, sovrappeso said:

One just flew into the kitchen. About twice as big as a wasp but with a yellowish-orange head. Has any one else seen one hereabouts?  I suppose it must be due to climate change as they are common in southern England.

Buy an aerosol tin of spray adhesive, such as you would use to stick posters to wall.

Lie in wait, and when one of these big hornets flies by, leap out and give it a spray.

BINGO!

One minute it's flying, the next it's tumbling out of the sky with a confused look on it's silly little face.

It takes a lot of patience and skill, but a direct hit is very satisfying.

It's better than the old Jam-Jar method, enticing it into a Jam-Jar to suffocate in a pile of it's mates corpses.

The only downside to this method is you will miss more often than you hit, and this means a great deal of glue will end up on your furniture and computer, but trust me, the satisfaction of seeing a Hornet suddenly stop flying is worth ruining your house for.

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Padders said:

Buy an aerosol tin of spray adhesive, such as you would use to stick posters to wall.

Lie in wait, and when one of these big hornets flies by, leap out and give it a spray.

BINGO!

One minute it's flying, the next it's tumbling out of the sky with a confused look on it's silly little face.

It takes a lot of patience and skill, but a direct hit is very satisfying.

It's better than the old Jam-Jar method, enticing it into a Jam-Jar to suffocate in a pile of it's mates corpses.

The only downside to this method is you will miss more often than you hit, and this means a great deal of glue will end up on your furniture and computer, but trust me, the satisfaction of seeing a Hornet suddenly stop flying is worth ruining your house for.

I find my old  410 gets rid of the buggers .

Edited by gaz678
  • Like 1

Last year, in November, I was stung by one after trying to usher it out the window. 

It pierced  a  cloth and was the most painful sting I’ve ever had. It lasted 3 days and needed regular ice. Be warned and wear gloves .

Cossack hairspray (I know, I know). Turns them into fixed-wing gliders. 

...... and lasts all day according to the advert, so lots of time to see where they crash