Ibiza And Majorca To Ban Alcohol At Certain Times

https://news.sky.com/story/new-alcohol-ban-in-majorca-and-ibiza-marks-fresh-clampdown-on-excessive-tourism-13133007

The sale of alcohol will be totally banned between 9.30pm and 8am in areas of "excessive tourism" in Majorca and Ibiza, under a new decree passed by the government of Spain's Balearic Islands.

In a bid to crack down on booze-fuelled holidays in tourist areas, the law completely prohibits late-night sales of alcohol in Llucmajor, Palma and Calvia (Magaluf) in Majorca, and San Antonio in Ibiza.

The bit that needs clarification is what I put in bold... surely this wouldn't apply to clubs and bars? They'd lose a small fortune and potentially go out of business.

Let's be honest, the main reason most people go to these places for is a boozy holiday, if they can't get that they will take their money elsewhere.

The whole point of going to somewhere like Magaluf is to go clubbing until 5am so I am assuming the clubs are wanting teetotalers to hit the dancefloor.

And lets assume people pay around £50 during the night on booze, won't bars loose this money, so won't this mean they will have to charge entry such as £20.

DOes the DJ get sacked because there are no drunken people wanting to dance 

Does that mean most of the night clubs and bars will close

And if that happens the islands lose lots of money, maybe many businesses fail?

Also areas of excessive tourism, that is Magaluf, so people cannot have a drink in Magaluf after 9:30pm

But they can go to a sleepy village in the countryside and get hammered

• Haha 1

Aiya Napa transformed from a boozy lads holiday destination to a much more upmarket location, and it's given other towns similar ambitions.

It took alot of investment though, the places that sell themselves on cheap alcohol and the party atmosphere are not particularly nice.

If these Spanish towns want to drive away their regular clients, I hope they're prepared to dip into their pockets to build something better.

3 hours ago, rogets said:

The whole point of going to somewhere like Magaluf is to go clubbing until 5am so I am assuming the clubs are wanting teetotalers to hit the dancefloor.

And lets assume people pay around £50 during the night on booze, won't bars loose this money, so won't this mean they will have to charge entry such as £20.

DOes the DJ get sacked because there are no drunken people wanting to dance 

Does that mean most of the night clubs and bars will close

And if that happens the islands lose lots of money, maybe many businesses fail?

Do you think most of the clubbers in the likes of San Antonio are drinking alcohol?

And that entry to an Ibiza club is less than £20?!

🤣

Club entry in Ibiza ranges from around £50-£200 or more depending on the night and who is on the decks.

A pint in these places costs about £20. Spirit and mixer is about £30. 

Nobody is going to a club in Ibiza for the booze…

(The bars are a different matter though).

I can't understand why people want to go to these kind of places?

I live life in the fast lane, so I want an holiday where I can relax and unwind.

You can't beat a fortnight in sunny Cleethorpes, just an hours drive from Sheffield, no hassle or airports to contend with..

There's plenty of good boarding house's to choose from and the landladies will make you feel at home.

Hire a deckchair and windbreak, then spend the day on the dog friendly golden sands.

If your lucky enough to see the sea, you can always roll up your trousers and have a paddle, but don't forget the knotted handkerchief as the sun can be quite fierce.

A fish-n-chips meal is also an essential part of your hols, or splash out on chips and a Lincolnshire sausage smothered in gravy..

Should you be unlucky and catch a shower, there's always the Wonderland indoor market to visit, here you can barter with the locals and grab a bargain.

Evenings can be spent on the historic pier with a couple of cans of Lager purchased from one of the many beer-offs.

No need to spend a fortune, in fact an afternoon tour of the amusements arcades picking up 1p's and 2 p's from the slot machines may well pay for your drinks.

What's not to like.

Majorca, no way, hos'e.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

Do you think most of the clubbers in the likes of San Antonio are drinking alcohol?

🤣

Club entry in Ibiza ranges from around £50-£200 or more depending on the night and who is on the decks.

Indeed.

I bet a bottle of water and chewing gum is about 10 euros though!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

🤣

things have changed since i went to the island, 50p a pint and free entry into nightclubs

sounds like its only for rich teens in 2024