Tesco Chief Executive Sees His Pay Double To £10 Million

1 hour ago, pfifes said:

True.  But someone still has clean toilets and wipe backsides in nursing homes.  And the those people should not be paid a pittance and looked down upon.  In my opinion, those who do so are the stupid and lazy ones, not the cleaners, care workers, shelf stackers or delivery drivers.  You know, the ones that were clapped during the pandemic.  The KEY WORKERS.  

"Key workers". Some tag given to them by governments to try and appease the electorate and a load of flapping seals stood on their doorstep once a week following some social media trend.

Oh yes, those oh so dedicated adorable key workers being talked about as if they're doing it out their goodness of the heart.....

They are doing a job. A important job maybe.  A thankless and difficult job maybe.  But it's a job that they are paid to do and contractually obligated to do at a rate they agree through their own choice.

They are paid what the market rate it takes for their skills, rarity, supply and qualification.  

Whether people like it or not. Even those key workers need layers of skilled management. They need to be organised there needs to be operations and shifts and controls and policies and procedures that all have to be created, planned and maintained.  They need to rely on skilled qualified individuals to deal with all the vast administration of supply chain and payroll and HR management and record keeping and procurement and contracting. They need input from academic roles like accountants and lawyers and directors to deal with budgetary responsibilities, legislation, dispute resolution, strategy,  operations and forward planning. They need the input from those wealthy investors and shareholders and the bankers to provide the capital for the business and keep the money in the bank account to pay for all the assets,  premises, stock, cash flow and payroll those key workers need...

It all has a role to play.  

It is simply ridiculous to compare the pay level of a shop floor worker, which is a job that pretty much can deal by anyone with limbs and half a brain could do with the pay level of a Chief Executive in one of the most senior positions of a multi-billion pound company. 

If those on the shop floor don't like it, they can go somewhere else or train to elevate themselves. The more people do that. The increase in shortage of shop floor workers and the company would have to take action. However, until such time as that happens, simply sitting on one's backside crying they   deserve more gets nowhere.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

"Key workers". Some tag given to them by governments to try and appease the electorate and a load of flapping seals stood on their doorstep once a week following some social media trend.

Oh yes, those oh so dedicated adorable key workers being talked about as if they're doing it out their goodness of the heart.....

They are doing a job. A important job maybe.  A thankless and difficult job maybe.  But it's a job that they are paid to do and contractually obligated to do at a rate they agree through their own choice.

They are paid what the market rate it takes for their skills, rarity, supply and qualification.  

Whether people like it or not. Even those key workers need layers of skilled management. They need to be organised there needs to be operations and shifts and controls and policies and procedures that all have to be created, planned and maintained.  They need to rely on skilled qualified individuals to deal with all the vast administration of supply chain and payroll and HR management and record keeping and procurement and contracting. They need input from academic roles like accountants and lawyers and directors to deal with budgetary responsibilities, legislation, dispute resolution, strategy,  operations and forward planning. They need the input from those wealthy investors and shareholders and the bankers to provide the capital for the business and keep the money in the bank account to pay for all the assets,  premises, stock, cash flow and payroll those key workers need...

It is simply ridiculous to compare the pay level of a shop floor worker, which is a job that pretty much can deal by anyone with limbs and half a brain could do with the pay level of a Chief Executive in one of the most senior positions of a multi-billion pound company. 

If those on the shop floor don't like it, they can go somewhere else or train to elevate themselves. The more people do that. The increase in shortage of shop floor workers and the company would have to take action. However, until such time as that happens, simply sitting on one's backside crying they   deserve more gets nowhere.

I have a Bulgarian friend, an elderly chap now retired, loved communism. He was a train driver all his working life and still to this day thinks he should have been paid the same as a brain surgeon.

He just doesn't get it.

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

Let me simplify further.  I think I already explained that most people wouldn’t expect a shelf stacker to earn anything close to a CEO.  With seniority comes responsibility and pay should reflect that.  I thought that was obvious but perhaps not.
The point I am making is not in support of communism.  NOT as Al Bundy puts it ‘a train driver getting paid the same as a brain surgeon’!!!!!!! 
The point I am making is that no one in paid employment should be looked down or paid insufficient to live on. They should not be considered lazy and stupid because they are in ‘shop floor’ position. Yes, layers of management might be above that person cleaning the toilets in Tesco but the toilets still need to be cleaned and that person deserves to be respected and paid properly.  And there aren’t enough CEO or brain surgeon positions to go around for all of us even if we all had the skills and  work ethic  to do them.  And the toilets would still need cleaning.
On the other hand a CEO should be paid appropriately for their responsibility.  But just  how many millions or billions does one person need though?  
It’s about fairness rather extremes.  That is all.  NOT about saying a shelf stacker should be paid the same as a CEO.  

No wonder the Tories keep getting voted in when so many struggle with understanding this.

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

Oh, and I hope during the pandemic you didn’t use a supermarket, public transport, have parcels delivered, see a healthcare professional or  go to a pharmacy.  Because that would have meant dealing with some of those obnoxious losers that were the key workers that you look down on so much.  You know, the ones putting themselves at risk to keep essential services going.  

45 minutes ago, pfifes said:

Oh, and I hope during the pandemic you didn’t use a supermarket, public transport, have parcels delivered, see a healthcare professional or  go to a pharmacy.  Because that would have meant dealing with some of those obnoxious losers that were the key workers that you look down on so much.  You know, the ones putting themselves at risk to keep essential services going.  

Who has mentioned obnoxious losers, apart from you?

15 minutes ago, pfifes said:

Yes and I hope none of those employees expected to get paid or to have their employment contracts prepared or to deal with their tax affairs or to rely on enough budget  to buy all their required stock and supplies and materials or that their facilities and procurements all kept flowing...  because that will have involved them having to deal with those sorts of higher level people not given the ego title of "key workers"

Do you not get it. Everyone has their role to play, including those who, according to some,  are simply sat around lazily at home pretending to work with their laptops. 

Those key workers "risking their lives" were not doing it out of the goodness of their heart. They are doing a job. A job they signed up to do.  A job that through its very nature required physical on-site presence.  

Yes yes we all know the great challenges faced during covid but key workers were not alone in that. Not everyone at every organisation went off on furlough. Plenty of people not just key workers  had just the same difficulties and extreme pressures during those times. For those key workers, just who did they think had to make the difficult decisions about how exactly the business was going to cope financially , organisational, strategically during those periods. Who do they think was I charge of  all the resourcing and logistics and deployment during all that period. 

None of it changes the simple fact that 'key worker or mot....stacking shelves and packing boxes comes with a certain minimum level of skill and therefore attracts a lesser if not minimum level of pay. 

Yes people are right, not everyone can be high-flying CEOs as they would not be enough jobs to go around. Parcels will always need to be delivered and toilets will always need to be cleaned. 

However, human life is not like that. Most obviously not everyone wants or suits to be jobs of high skill or high responsibility.  Plenty of people are perfectly content doing their simple job, clocking out and home at their regular time.  Plenty don't want the hours, the stress, the travel, the responsibilities, the staff, the pressures that come with higher level roles.  Many people don't want to be spending years of their lives stuck in academic institutions learning some degree.

28 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Who has mentioned obnoxious losers, apart from you?

I felt that was implied in a certain person’s reply.  This person appears to think that people on minimum wage type jobs don’t deserve any better.  If they are struggling then it’s their own fault for not hard enough.  That they are doing these jobs because they are too dim or lazy for anything better.  Maybe ‘obnoxious losers’ is too strong but I think it’s fair to say he has little respect for people doing jobs that are absolutely essential.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Yes and I hope none of those employees expected to get paid or to have their employment contracts prepared or to deal with their tax affairs or to rely on enough budget  to buy all their required stock and supplies and materials or that their facilities and procurements all kept flowing...  because that will have involved them having to deal with those sorts of higher level people not given the ego title of "key workers"

Do you not get it. Everyone has their role to play, including those who, according to some,  are simply sat around lazily at home pretending to work with their laptops. 

Those key workers "risking their lives" were not doing it out of the goodness of their heart. They are doing a job. A job they signed up to do.  A job that through its very nature required physical on-site presence.  

Yes yes we all know the great challenges faced during covid but key workers were not alone in that. Not everyone at every organisation went off on furlough. Plenty of people not just key workers  had just the same difficulties and extreme pressures during those times. For those key workers, just who did they think had to make the difficult decisions about how exactly the business was going to cope financially , organisational, strategically during those periods. Who do they think was I charge of  all the resourcing and logistics and deployment during all that period. 

None of it changes the simple fact that 'key worker or mot....stacking shelves and packing boxes comes with a certain minimum level of skill and therefore attracts a lesser if not minimum level of pay. 

Yes people are right, not everyone can be high-flying CEOs as they would not be enough jobs to go around. Parcels will always need to be delivered and toilets will always need to be cleaned. 

However, human life is not like that. Most obviously not everyone wants or suits to be jobs of high skill or high responsibility.  Plenty of people are perfectly content doing their simple job, clocking out and home at their regular time.  Plenty don't want the hours, the stress, the travel, the responsibilities, the staff, the pressures that come with higher level roles.  Many people don't want to be spending years of their lives stuck in academic institutions learning some degree.

None of this explains why people shouldn’t earn enough to pay for basic necessities.

No not everyone does the want the commitments of a high flying position even if there was enough to go around for everyone.  But that doesn’t mean they should struggle to pay the gas bill.

And as for you comment about key workers, those people working in supermarkets and driving buses, no they didn’t work out of the goodness of their heart in the pandemic.  But they were ones who had to take risks so they could continue to earn, not the fat cat boss.  Saying ‘they signed up for it’ is all well and good but I think they ought to be paid properly and respected rather than sneered at and looked down on as you appear to do.

I could have earned far more had me and my family upped sticks and moved, every time the powers that be dangled a big fat pay increase in my face. I’ve done fine without their help, they on the other hand, along with their companies, are no longer trading.

41 minutes ago, pfifes said:

I felt that was implied in a certain person’s reply.  This person appears to think that people on minimum wage type jobs don’t deserve any better.  If they are struggling then it’s their own fault for not hard enough.  That they are doing these jobs because they are too dim or lazy for anything better.  Maybe ‘obnoxious losers’ is too strong but I think it’s fair to say he has little respect for people doing jobs that are absolutely essential.  

I didn't get that impression at all.