1. 1. How will you be voting in the General Election 2024

• Conservative
    • Green
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Reform
    • Other / Independent
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Is your vote the same or different to how you voted in the last General Election

• The Same
    • Different

This poll is closed to new votes

21 minutes ago, cressida said:

Any which way but loose,  hopefully.

Wow! That is another role Boris could play if he dyed his Orange, Clyde!    Right turn Clyed.  Thanks Cressida.  :hihi:

35 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Your vocation in Film or TV wouldn't be in the casting department, your way off.  When you see Starmer and Raynor spring into action after winning the next GE,  Superman and Wonder Woman will spring to mind. :hihi:

If those two spring into action it will be another fine mess.  Laurel and Hardy spring to mind.  Enough said.

• Thanks 1

It's all a bit difficult when folk rely on stories behind paywalls, as it's difficult to put the quotes into context as a whole.
Tories shouldn’t have ousted Boris Johnson, admits Nadhim Zahawi   
Former chancellor says Conservative party got rid of the ‘most consequential leader since Thatcher’

Bear in mind of course that this story is in the Telegraph, Zahawi is standing down as an MP, taking up a new role in a company linked to Barclay, and has a book to sell soon.
Nadhim Zahawi made Very Group chairman after standing down as MP
Former chancellor will lead Barclay family’s business as it seeks new investment

I'm not sure why he is gaining so much attention really; trying to maintain a low profile following his recent tax affairs may be more appropriate.
Even his lawyer seems to be having  some legal complications at the moment
Nadhim Zahawi’s SLAPP results in disciplinary action for his lawyer. Why it happened, and what it means.   Tax Policy Associates

In July 2022, Nadhim Zahawi’s solicitors, Osborne Clarke, threatened me [Dan Neidle]  with libel for saying that Zahawi had lied about his taxes (which, of course, he had).

They said I couldn’t tell anyone about their threat, and it would be “improper” and a “serious matter” if I did.

This was false; an attempt to intimidate me into silence. I referred the matter to the Solicitors Regulatory Authority.

The FT is now reporting that the SRA has taken action, and has referred the solicitor to the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal. He1 may be struck off.

I believe this is the first time a solicitor has been referred to the SDT for abusive tactics in libel litigation – often termed SLAPP

Johnson of course stood down due to many ministers disagreeing with his handling of various issues including Pincher & Patterson, as well as other matters.
Arguably on Pincher & Patterson alone he should have stood down voluntarily.
If however he'd remained in post, then there was a likelihood that he would have been suspended for 90 days following a Privileges Committee investigation.
I'm not convinced having a serving PM suspended from parliament would be such a good look for the Tories; or any other party really.

Privileges Committee investigation into Boris Johnson   Institute for Government
How the investigation into Boris Johnson worked and what it found.

The committee’s report stated that, had Boris Johnson still been an MP, they would have recommended that he be suspended from the House of Commons for 90 days.

Had this sanction been agreed by the Commons, it would have triggered a recall petition in Boris Johnson’s constituency.

In light of the fact that Boris Johnson has already resigned as an MP, the committee recommends that he not be granted a parliamentary pass – something to which former MPs are usually entitled and which gives access to the parliamentary estate. 

• Like 2

On 15/05/2024 at 19:44, SheffieldForum said:

Political parties are stepping up their campaigns ahead of a still-to-be-called General Election.

Polls have a strong lead by Labour with a weak relatively showing from Conservatives, but parties usually on the periphery could flourish and even potentially become king-makers in some kind of coalition, depending on the results.

What's your thoughts on where the election will land?

(All political posts in this thread, please).

My thoughts are they are elected for a 5 year term and that is what it should be.

1 hour ago, spilldig said:

My thoughts are they are elected for a 5 year term and that is what it should be.

Correct.  As long as the ruling party has a good working majority then there should be a full 5 year term.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Axe said:

Moving on.

It looks like Axe has been proved correct by stating the Tory MPs made a massive  mistake by removing Boris Johnson as prime minister.

Tories shouldn’t have ousted Boris Johnson, admits Zahawi

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/05/18/tories-shouldnt-ousted-boris-johnson-admits-nadhim-zahawi/

So what - who cares what he thinks.

Zahawi is a grasping tax dodger who threatens journalists if they reveal the truth about his dodgy dealings.

He even submitted an expenses claim for the electricity bill for his stables where he keeps his horses, cheeky barsteward! He even tried to claim "that was a mistake". Yeah right Nadhim. A mistake is forgetting what you went to shop for. Putting an electricity bill on expenses so the public can pay, is not a mistake, it's trying it on, you fool!

Edited by Mister M

4 minutes ago, Mister M said:

So what - who cares what he thinks.

Zahawi is a grasping tax dodger who threatens journalists if they reveal the truth about his dodgy dealings.

He even submitted an expenses claim for the electricity bill for his stables where he keeps his horses, cheeky barsteward! He even tried to claim "that was a mistake". Yeah right Nadhim. A mistake is forgetting what you went to shop for. Putting an electricity bill on expenses so the public can pay, is not a mistake, it's trying it on, you fool!

He was judged to have made an honest mistake with his tax return and paid what was owed plus a penalty sum.   The gentleman has paid millions in tax over the years making a huge contribution to the treasury.  You should be grateful for him.