1. 1. How will you be voting in the General Election 2024

• Conservative
    • Green
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Reform
    • Other / Independent
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Is your vote the same or different to how you voted in the last General Election

• The Same
    • Different

This poll is closed to new votes

3 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I recall Thatcher “I can’t help reflecting that it’s taken a Government headed by a housewife with experience of running a family to balance the books for the first time in 20 years – with a little left over for a rainy day,” Thatcher told the Conservatives Women’s Conference in 1988."

The New Economics Foundation estimated that the UK economy was up to £100 billion smaller because of the policy of austerity.

The impact was brutal and deathly. Following the Welfare Reform Act in 2012, the number of children in relative poverty rose by 650,000 in 2019. In 2017, The Royal Society of Medicine stated that austerity measures were likely to have been responsible for 30,000 deaths in England and Wales just in 2015.

https://bylinetimes.com/2019/11/19/thatchers-household-fallacy-led-to-austerity-and-killed-thousands-what-was-the-point-of-it/

Stephen Colegrave delves into the real reasons behind austerity   

" I think it goes back to Margaret Thatcher " .  Really scientific bit of investigating 😂😂😂

9 hours ago, Mister M said:

You must've missed the constant references Sajid Javid made to his Dad being a bus driver; or the fact that Nadhim Zahawi's family came to the UK with nothing from Baghdad, but he ended up being a millionaire...

"Every morning as I shave my head in the mirror, I have to pinch myself. How is it that a boy from Baghdad who came to these shores, fleeing persecution and unable to speak a word of English, was able to do as much as I have?"

He's even wrote a book about it:

The Boy from Baghdad by Nadhim Zahawi – HarperCollins Publishers UK

Glad to see you agree it's annoying.

Hence why folk mention it about Rayner.

Thanks for clarifying.

On 14/06/2024 at 20:30, Bellatrix said:

... by far the most vicious attacks directed at politically active women who've had the temerity to stand up for, for example, their sex and their sex-based rights have come from our friends on the left.   See the statement Rosie Duffield released today.

The venomous abuse received by women from the anonymous dregs of Twitter does, of course, spill over into the real world, as the statement released by Rosie Duffield has recently described. 

In response to that statement, those who share similarly prominent social media platforms are united in their efforts to ensure that their support, their concern, and the seriousness with which they take such statements is expressed unequivocally, together with their condemnation of the abuse that Rosie Duffield and others have faced and continue to face.  It's important to normalise this response, not the abuse and harassment.

You'd like to believe that such a response is universal. 

Here's Labour Peer Baron Cashman's response to Rosie Duffield's statement, accusing her of cowardice and laziness:

GQLuY7MWkAAA3_Q?format=jpg&name=small

In the inevitable follow-up tweet he neither addresses Rosie Duffield directly, apologises to her, nor retracts his words, apologising only for posting them on Twitter.

Like Lloyd Russell-Moyle and Ben Bradshaw before him, another man of a certain political persuasion who believes himself to be on the right sides of history is eager to shine a light on exactly where that side sits.

17 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Stephen Colegrave delves into the real reasons behind austerity   

" I think it goes back to Margaret Thatcher " .  Really scientific bit of investigating 😂😂😂

Surely Benjamin Disraeli should take some of the blame? 

7 minutes ago, Mister M said:

image.png.81dafb33581b471f24c95d7d8d8dde0c.png

As if that's something to be proud about :rolleyes:

Sunak wasn't even born before people were campaigning to get us out of the then EEC, resulting in our first referendum on the subject.

23 minutes ago, altus said:

Sunak wasn't even born before people were campaigning to get us out of the then EEC, resulting in our first referendum on the subject.

We fell for it  hook. line and sinker Listening to two conmen One Johnson  a complete lying piece of dog muck ,The other a Trump lap  dog    But lots of you. Political  so called know how’s fell for them  ,  I think lots have changed their mind , But will never admit it

5 minutes ago, Slinny said:

We fell for it  hook. line and sinker Listening to two conmen One Johnson  a complete lying piece of dog muck ,The other a Trump lap  dog    But lots of you. Political  so called know how’s fell for them  ,  I think lots have changed their mind , But will never admit it

Anyone who was even vaguely familiar with my posting history wouldn't think that about me.