1. 1. How will you be voting in the General Election 2024

• Conservative
    • Green
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Reform
    • Other / Independent
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Is your vote the same or different to how you voted in the last General Election

• The Same
    • Different

This poll is closed to new votes

3 minutes ago, El Cid said:

That is interesting, but a load of tosh.

In the 2019 the Tories got 43% and not the 30% mentioned.

The point remains valid though. 

43% of the vote means that 57% of those who voted wanted a different party to win, yet ended up with a party they didn't vote for not only winning, but obtaining an 80 seat unassailable majority and being able to do as they wished. In 2005 Labour won just 35.2% of votes cast meaning 64.8% of voters  didn't want them, but they achieved a workable majority of seats.

The FPTP voting system isn't democratic, it doesn't reflect the wishes of the people which is what democracy is supposedly about.

PR+STV is the fairest voting system as yet devised, but despite being used in Northern Ireland - part of the UK - it wasn't offered as the alternative in 2011 because it doesn't suit the two main parties.

That indicates the contempt the political establishment have for the electorate. It's about their wishes, not ours.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, m williamson said:

The point remains valid though. 

43% of the vote means that 57% of those who voted wanted a different party to win, yet ended up with a party they didn't vote for not only winning, but obtaining an 80 seat unassailable majority and being able to do as they wished. In 2005 Labour won just 35.2% of votes cast meaning 64.8% of voters  didn't want them, but they achieved a workable majority of seats.

The FPTP voting system isn't democratic, it doesn't reflect the wishes of the people which is what democracy is supposedly about.

PR+STV is the fairest voting system as yet devised, but despite being used in Northern Ireland - part of the UK - it wasn't offered as the alternative in 2011 because it doesn't suit the two main parties.

That indicates the contempt the political establishment have for the electorate. It's about their wishes, not ours.

Yes, I agree with PR; it could have been based on the EU elections, which are based on PR.

1 hour ago, Wing Commander said:

They are predicting when both Labour and Conservative votes are added together  the total will only be just over 50% of the electorate.  Labour's share of the vote will be the lowest ever for a party that wins the general election.  It's going to be a default win for Labour.

Ah I see, so if Labour win with a minority vote it's a default win; but when the Tories win with a minority vote, it's 'stonking'.

2 hours ago, Cyclunt said:

It's very clear that the popularity of votes for Labour show a very clear indication that the general public shouldn't be allowed to operate a pencil sharpener. Too many fools living in the past, expecting a Labour government to "turn things around".

Ha!!! What a load of old cobblers. They are exactly the same as the tories, just a different colour tie.

Fools!! 😆

Well that's rather like the pot calling the kettle. Just yesterday, an upper class Worzel Gummidge emerged from the recent past having been cast out because of his lying, his filth, his casual approach to the deaths of over 200,000 of its citizens, and the people around him chant his name like he is the messiah!!! 

Listen, I'm sure there are divvies in the Labour Party, and all parties. But the Conservative Party alone seems to make a virtue of elevating stupidity as something vote worthy.

Most constituencies have five or more candidates seeking to be the MP.  The candidate receiving the most votes become the MP.  It's unlikely many winning candidates will attract more than 50% of the vote share when there are so many candidates to choose from.  The current system is the fairest way to elect individual MPs to represent each constituency. 

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

Ah I see, so if Labour win with a minority vote it's a default win; but when the Tories win with a minority vote, it's 'stonking'.

It will be a default win because  Labour are offering nothing other than they are not the Conservative party.  If they don't better the share of the vote that the Conservative party achieved at the last election then it will be an hollow victory regardless of the majority.

1 hour ago, Beechwood_S6 said:

roll on another right wing Blairish..government

not sure about Starmer boasting about changing the Labour party permanently, I'm sure when he feels those metaphorical knives in the back.

roll on the treachery and betrayal from his enemies within the labour party / unions

They haven't even been elected yet and already they're being called traitors....

I'm not a Blair fanboy; however their achievements when last in office in the NHS, rough sleeping, poverty reduction; and reduction in crime alone would be transformational.

No it wasn't Jerusalem - but in the 14 years what have the Tory Party delivered that could be put along side that beginning of Labour's achievements outlined above?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wing Commander said:

It will be a default win because  Labour are offering nothing other than they are not the Conservative party.  If they don't better the share of the vote that the Conservative party achieved at the last election then it will be an hollow victory regardless of the majority.

No you're just demonstrating your own ignorance, and just making up the rules to suit your own narrative.

47 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Well that's rather like the pot calling the kettle. Just yesterday, an upper class Worzel Gummidge emerged from the recent past having been cast out because of his lying, his filth, his casual approach to the deaths of over 200,000 of its citizens, and the people around him chant his name like he is the messiah!!! 

Listen, I'm sure there are divvies in the Labour Party, and all parties. But the Conservative Party alone seems to make a virtue of elevating stupidity as something vote worthy.

“ divvies “ 😂😂😂

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Believe it or not, I agree, which is rare on this forum😆 That said, I still don't believe there is anything that stands out from either of the major parties, with the exception that the only reason they are where they are is the longevity factor. Nobody trusts new parties or groups and the Lib Dems/Greens although well planted, are still another of the UK,s long standing political "also rans". 

Is the UK seriously now ready for a political upset? Definitely. Reform could seriously be a contender, providing it distances itself from hatred and exclusions and have a more likeable leader. But that is a long way off, and judging by the current dislike of the tories, it's more than likely going to be a red tie over the finish line. 

3 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

“ divvies “ 😂😂😂

After the complete and utter carnage of his premiership - exemplified by Partygate:

There were no parties 

There were parties, but no one told me about them

There were parties, but I was told they were informal work gatherings

There were informal work gatherings, but no-one told me they were against the rules 

Mr Speaker I didn't lie to the House of Commons

Select Committee of the House of Commons Privileges found that he lied to the House of Commons repeatedly and to the Select Committee itself.

You'd think after that people would be embarrassed to show any support for someone who repeatedly broke his own rules, while the country were suffering some of the worst privations. Yet there they were like clapping seals, chanting Boris's name.

Divvies is almost too kind. Mad cultists probably more accurate.