1. 1. How will you be voting in the General Election 2024

• Conservative
    • Green
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Reform
    • Other / Independent
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Is your vote the same or different to how you voted in the last General Election

• The Same
    • Different

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, Delayed said:

Anyways, Labour are our now Lord and masters, so let's see how they can improve our lives.  I'm expecting at least something to change in the next 12 months. 

You've got VAT going on Private school fees to look forward to.

What more do you want?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, geared said:

You've got VAT going on Private school fees to look forward to.

What more do you want?

Single, employed, male, homeowner.

I'm getting nothing from any government 

1 minute ago, Delayed said:

Single, employed, male, homeowner.

I'm getting nothing from any government 

I'm fairly similar, but I'm happy if more money is pumped into education as a better educated people benefits all of us, not just those  with children

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Delayed said:

No not at all. I'd be a floating voter as I've voted for both in the past.

And this is the thing I don't understand in the north. Most people hang their colours to the mast for the rest of their life. I vote based on how I think will run the country best (at the time)

It they turn out to be crap, fair enough.

But Ill never be a 1 party voter just to get back at another party. Seems petty.

Anyways, Labour are our now Lord and masters, so let's see how they can improve our lives.  I'm expecting at least something to change in the next 12 months. 

I haven't voted labour in the local elections since the 80s, but I've never voted Tory in one. But I always voted labour in the general election until the parliamentary labour party decided that Gordon Brown would make a good leader. I've not voted for them since. But I've only voted Tory twice, first for David Cameron in 2010 and Boris in 2019.

I don't see any difference between labour, Tory or libdems, so I don't see anything changing.

1 hour ago, Prettytom said:

She’s a rather graceless person. Parliament will be better without people like her.

It’s a big majority, isn’t it. It gives Starmer the opportunity to be radical and far sighted. Unless Labour descend into chaos like the last Tory army, he should have ten years to fix the damage that the last lot inflicted on the country.

He could start by making the NHS more user friendly.

Speaking of graceless people, I think George Galloway went one better and refused to go on the stage at all in Rochdale to hear the victor's speech.

That's the thing with Galloway, he's very good at picking up these seats on the back of discontent, but not very good at holding on to them....

• Like 2

It’s a big majority, isn’t it. It gives Starmer the opportunity to be radical and far sighted.

Yes, so it's a shame he is neither of these. I suspect it's going to feel like 5 years of watching the England football team passing sideways in midfield before sending it back to the keeper.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It is very similar to the two elections in the 1980s, when Thatcher won huge majorities. 

Then, the left wing vote was split by David Owen and his egocentric chums

Thatcher decimated the country on roughly 40% of the popular vote. That's slightly higher than tge Labour vote this time, but hardly a ringing endorsement of her, or her policies.

This time, the right wing vote has been split by Farage and his vanity. 

Unless Reform go away, Labour could be in power for decades.

The Labour vote share of 34% is the lowest any party has ever won a majority with.  No comparison at all with Margaret Thatcher winning big majorities.  You're correct about the Reform UK impact.  Reform UK got  14% of the vote and the Lib Dems got 12%.  If both Reform and Lib Dems get the same vote share next time then  Labour will win again next time.   The Lib Dems have done very well to increase their number of seats to 71 while only increasing there vote share by 1%. 71 is a good base to start with next time because if the Conservative party is not careful they could be replaced as the second largest party. 

Edited by Wing Commander
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I'm fairly similar, but I'm happy if more money is pumped into education as a better educated people benefits all of us, not just those  with children

I agree up to a point. But it's also how the money is spent too. Pumping money into a black hole is a waste of time and money. Systems need to change, money needs to be spent judiciously and wisely where it will do most good across all departments.

• Like 2