1. 1. How will you be voting in the General Election 2024

• Conservative
    • Green
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Reform
    • Other / Independent
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Is your vote the same or different to how you voted in the last General Election

• The Same
    • Different

This poll is closed to new votes

23 minutes ago, trastrick said:

A lot of people seem happy that a white "proper Englishman" is back in power.

And defeated that "foreign" looking gentleman, with the funny name!  :)

Folks on the left often rationalize the need to bring in more "foreigners" to do the jobs Brits don't want to do.

Do they mean fruit picking and kitchen work!

Who and where is any of that being said?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, janie48 said:

As a Labour voter I'm obviously pleased with the  result, but I'm not expecting the new government to be perfect, that would be like expecting a miracle. 

Rishi Sunak on his departure described  Keir Starmer as " a decent spirited man, who I respect".

That was a nice thing to say, and I really think he meant it.

I agree, it was a very gracious speech, from an honourable man.

Neither do I think he needs to take all the blame for their defeat, there were plenty of other factors/ guilty people to blame.

However, what a pity Starmer hasn't mastered the art of speaking from the heart like Rishi and other politicians, without referring all the time to notes. I think it's that ability that makes Farage, for example, as a force to be reckoned with. Starmer would do well to learn the technique so he comes across as more genuine and less of a puppet mouthpiece.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Anna B said:

People's names are already entered on a list of voters which is then struck off when they turn up to vote, (so they can't vote twice.) So an Automatic £100 fine can be sent to anyone still on the list, same penalty as a parking ticket.

And then you end up sending fines to all the ladies who were busy giving birth on that day, or the folks who were hospitalised with heart attacks that day. The people who should have got back from holiday but their flights were cancelled. The dotty old folk who can’t remember what day of the week it is, the people who had to suddenly go abroad on business… etc etc. As I posted earlier, it’s compulsory in Belgium but they don’t enforce it because it’s unworkable. 

21 minutes ago, peak4 said:

There is an argument that he should be Father of The House, as Sir Edward Leigh has represented two different constituencies for parliament.
I can't imagine he would make anything of it, but I would quite like to have seen the reactions of others if it had panned out that way.

Diane Abbott set to take up 'Mother of the House' role in Parliament   The Standard
But Jeremy Corbyn misses out on the job of ‘Father of the House’

Kier could pull a fast one, get the pair of them a life peerage and let them cause trouble in the Lords instead of giving him a headache.

4 hours ago, geared said:

Everywhere Reform stood and won needed to be flooded full stop

Lincolnshire might well go under with rising sea levels, so it may happen. Still, those webbed toes will come in handy.

• Haha 4

I'll look forward to having to pay to drive into Sheffields ULEZ soon.

2 minutes ago, Uggy said:

I'll look forward to having to pay to drive into Sheffields ULEZ soon.

Me too, get lots of cars off the roads

Clear roads for us who can afford the charges

• Haha 1