1. 1. How will you be voting in the General Election 2024

• Conservative
    • Green
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Reform
    • Other / Independent
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Is your vote the same or different to how you voted in the last General Election

• The Same
    • Different

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, Mateo said:

If Rachel Reeves hadn't been so generous by giving the Junior doctors a 22% pays rise as well as the other well above inflation pay rises then she could have avoided withdrawing winter fuel allowance for pensioners. Rachael Reeves chose to withdraw winter fuel allowance for pensioners and is being dishonest by blaming the previous government for doing so.

Anybody would think the way you're talking that the Tories didn't also remove the WFA from some pensioners. 

Good that doctors and other workers are getting some of the wages long denied them.

I'd have more respect for the Labour party if they'd announced before the election that if elected, they'd give us a fairer tax system by reducing VAT whilst increasing income tax.

And before Tories start pretending that somehow they were trustworthy custodians of the public finances; they might like to explain the absolute waste in public expenditure which occurred under their watch, and would've easily paid for cuts to the Winter Fuel Allowance:

At least over £131 billion wasted on crony contracts and duff deals from Dec 2019 to June 2024

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, despritdan said:

I'd have more respect for the Labour party if they'd announced before the election that if elected, they'd give us a fairer tax system by reducing VAT whilst increasing income tax.

Increasing tax on work, is that a good idea?

Surely better to have more tax on the things we buy, like sugar, vapes and any unhealthy food; luxury goods even.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

The VAT change would involve massive amounts of money, very much less a change to winter fuel payments.

A 1% increase in the rate of VAT would bring in roughly the same amount revenue as what is being save by removing the winter fuel allowance for pensioners.

1 hour ago, despritdan said:

I'd have more respect for the Labour party if they admitted it was a mistake to rule out changes in the rate of VAT, Income Tax and National Insurance.  If the Labour party had stated in their election manifesto that they intended to remove the winter fuel allowance for pensioners then they wouldn't have won such a big majority in the election.  in fact they may have lost the election.  The Labour party has lost the trust of many people within weeks of being elected.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Increasing tax on work, is that a good idea?

Surely better to have more tax on the things we buy, like sugar, vapes and any unhealthy food; luxury goods even.

As I've pointed out countless times, income tax is the fairest form of tax because it's progressive, i.e. the more you earn, the more you pay. Income tax cuts give most back to the highest earners. VAT is the unfair establishment form of tax because it's regressive. It takes a higher proportion of the earnings of the lowest paid than the highest paid.

2 minutes ago, despritdan said:

As I've pointed out countless times, income tax is the fairest form of tax because it's progressive, i.e. the more you earn, the more you pay. Income tax cuts give most back to the highest earners. VAT is the unfair establishment form of tax because it's regressive. It takes a higher proportion of the earnings of the lowest paid than the highest paid.

That should read unfairest form of tax

17 hours ago, crookesey said:

We have long been of the opinion that we are far better at managing our finances than a government of any flavour. Their punishment for not being on the break line means little to us, we managed without the Fuel Allowance prior to it’s implementation and will do so again.

I won’t be complaining  C  But I bet some with plenty off money all ready,  will