1. 1. How will you be voting in the General Election 2024

• Conservative
    • Green
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Reform
    • Other / Independent
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Is your vote the same or different to how you voted in the last General Election

• The Same
    • Different

This poll is closed to new votes

29 minutes ago, peak4 said:

Indeed, and the only references to Pay-per-Mile, to justify the headline, seem to be to other Express stories which in turn refer back to other Express stories about Pay-per-Mile.
If there is ever a charge per mile, which might be difficult to introduce for older vehicles, their "journalists" will be driving around in so many concentric circles that they will likely go bankrupt.
I was brought up in an Express reading household from late 50's to 70's and can remember it being a reasonable newspaper.

We largely pay per mile already given the excise duty and VAT on petrol  & diesel.

• Like 1

I’m expecting a clobbering for my ownership of a 2.2  turbo diesel SUV, the fact is  that I need a car of this type in order to  be able to slide in and out of it due to Rheumatoid Arthritis.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, peak4 said:

Indeed, and the only references to Pay-per-Mile, to justify the headline, seem to be to other Express stories which in turn refer back to other Express stories about Pay-per-Mile.
If there is ever a charge per mile, which might be difficult to introduce for older vehicles, their "journalists" will be driving around in so many concentric circles that they will likely go bankrupt.
I was brought up in an Express reading household from late 50's to 70's and can remember it being a reasonable newspaper.

The Daily Express , where they make things up , like extreme weather warnings when there are none .Wouldn't trust that paper . Mind you ,I don't trust any paper to be fair , hence I don't buy any . Just catch headlines when I am queuing in my local COOP 

3 hours ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

The Daily Express , where they make things up , like extreme weather warnings when there are none .Wouldn't trust that paper . Mind you ,I don't trust any paper to be fair , hence I don't buy any . Just catch headlines when I am queuing in my local COOP 

Last one I bought was when the Star was 20 p

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

Yeah they're notorious for their extreme weather warnings. They'll probably be predicting 6 feet of snow next week.

• Haha 1

I thought I'd post this here as it's been the only attempt on this forum at comment on the PM's speech today:

3 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Starmer is happy, its a great day to bury his bad news 

[Oasis reunion being the great day presumably]

I've just heard excerpts on the news of the speech.

I was under no illusion that various institutions in the country have to be rebulit, and some modernised so that the country can move forward. The NHS is one, transport is another, aspects of the economy is another, housing is another.

It was an open secret of the Tories salting the earth and laying traps, when it was clear to them that they were going to lose the election (there was Sunak's decisions post HS2 cancellations as just one example of this). Also the OBR is investigating the 22bn black hole they weren't made aware of by Hunt. 

I think after the Tories came in 2010, they wasted no time in slashing many services that the poorest, or even middle income earners depended on - benefits, services (e.g. Sure Start). But that proved to be false economy because the economy won't grow if you cut vital services, it won't grow if the NHS isn't sorted out, and I can't remember but the Tories gloated about the huge debt they inherited back then. Even before the pandemic - the national debt was rising, taxes were rising, but there services were getting worse.

I like the fact these basic problems aren't being ignored, and the PM went on about 'stop the boats', as if that's all the country cared about.

Speaking about a good day to bury bad news: 

This little nugget about Liz Truss' plans when she ****ed up the economy - the Independent has an extraordinary report on this:

Liz Truss considered scrapping all NHS cancer treatment after crashing economy, ‘Truss at 10’ book claims | The Independent

25 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I thought I'd post this here as it's been the only attempt on this forum at comment on the PM's speech today:

[Oasis reunion being the great day presumably]

I've just heard excerpts on the news of the speech.

I was under no illusion that various institutions in the country have to be rebulit, and some modernised so that the country can move forward. The NHS is one, transport is another, aspects of the economy is another, housing is another.

It was an open secret of the Tories salting the earth and laying traps, when it was clear to them that they were going to lose the election (there was Sunak's decisions post HS2 cancellations as just one example of this). Also the OBR is investigating the 22bn black hole they weren't made aware of by Hunt. 

I think after the Tories came in 2010, they wasted no time in slashing many services that the poorest, or even middle income earners depended on - benefits, services (e.g. Sure Start). But that proved to be false economy because the economy won't grow if you cut vital services, it won't grow if the NHS isn't sorted out, and I can't remember but the Tories gloated about the huge debt they inherited back then. Even before the pandemic - the national debt was rising, taxes were rising, but there services were getting worse.

I like the fact these basic problems aren't being ignored, and the PM went on about 'stop the boats', as if that's all the country cared about.

Speaking about a good day to bury bad news: 

This little nugget about Liz Truss' plans when she ****ed up the economy - the Independent has an extraordinary report on this:

Liz Truss considered scrapping all NHS cancer treatment after crashing economy, ‘Truss at 10’ book claims | The Independent

“ we’ve been told “ . :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1