1. 1. How will you be voting in the General Election 2024

• Conservative
    • Green
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Reform
    • Other / Independent
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Is your vote the same or different to how you voted in the last General Election

• The Same
    • Different

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

Sir Keir, today in Germany .

Cheers, not been listening to the news.
It's another one of those specific wordings, a bit like "Critical Race Theory" originally intended for a specific audience, such as policy & law makers, charities etc, which is often misappropriated by folk with a specific political agenda in one direction or the other.
I think it's deliberately intended. and chosen by The UN, to be non-pejorative, whereas some will use "illegal", even though that description may not be appropriate.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

I don't think anyone objects to legal migration which is well regulated and monitored.

This get said in the media, of course some people object to legal migration, especially when its more than 300,000/400,000/500,000/600,000/700,000

Man who threw objects at Nigel Farage gets suspended sentence...

Another example of two-tier policing/justice?

Typically lefty logic of words being 'literally violence - man commits actual violence... nothing! Person writes a tweet and gets jail time.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, leviathan13 said:

Typically lefty logic of words being 'literally violence - man commits actual violence... nothing! Person writes a tweet and gets jail time.

I wouldn't have thought so; offence was last June, so well before the riots, he acted alone, and it looks like he was charged at the time, later convicted and bailed for pre sentencing reports.
Guidelines are here, assuming it was a Section 4a offence, (and I'm not sure about that).
https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/magistrates-court/item/disorderly-behaviour-with-intent-to-cause-harassment-alarm-or-distress-racially-or-religiously-aggravated-disorderly-behaviour-with-intent-to-cause-harassment-alarm-or-distress/

2 hours ago, Delayed said:

Legal migration routes into the UK are not just about working hard. There are legal routes into the UK where work is not the sole reason. 

Due to the sheer number of people considered to be 'illegal', this camp of yours would be massive. And of course that would need maintenance, security, etc which would cost the tax laher significant sums. Where we have problems housing our own prisoners....

Other than the fact that it's not their function? 

Fast tracking does not mean approving their visa.  The most time consuming element of the Asylum considerations is determining whether there is a genuine claim in the first place. 

And don't confuse genuineness with a person's character. 

Name me another country that treats asylum seekers in the same way?

You mean like a Life in the UK Test and also English tests that earns points on existing visa routes?

https://www.gov.uk/life-in-the-uk-test

There isn't now. 

You mean like there is now, where criminality is considered as Suitability criteria? 

They don't. Most are granted immigration bail. 

A thoughtful, well considered response. Thankyou. 

I don't agree with everything you say, for instance why shouldn't there be more than one camp? I was thinking more of Nissan huts that can be erected quickly. And why shouldn't it be run along army lines, by the army? They are already paid for, and would provide training opportunities such as leadership skills for them too. 

The English citizenship tests are a joke, even people who've lived here all their lives can't answer he questions, but I see nothing wrong with learning English, especially the women who often still can't speak it after years of living here.... And so on...

But anyway, you are entitled to disagree and have your own ideas, but how would you approach the problem?

14 minutes ago, Anna B said:

A thoughtful, well considered response. Thankyou. 

I don't agree with everything you say, for instance why shouldn't there be more than one camp? I was thinking more of Nissan huts that can be erected quickly. And why shouldn't it be run along army lines, by the army? They are already paid for, and would provide training opportunities such as leadership skills for them too. 

Because camps are a very dangerous ideology and we don't have the equivalent for our criminals so there's an argument that we are treating immigrants as lower class citizens and I wouldn't be surprised if it would be equated to slavery. 

The English citizenship tests are a joke, even people who've lived here all their lives can't answer he questions,

They aren't expecting to though 

but I see nothing wrong with learning English, especially the women who often still can't speak it after years of living here.... And so on...

Agreed. That's why they are expected.to learn English to a certain standard. I think what you are conflating are legal routes where English is a requirement to get a visa and Asylum, where you can't impose an English requirement in order to be granted refuge. 

But anyway, you are entitled to disagree and have your own ideas, but how would you approach the problem?

Firstly, we stop gimmicks in trying to stop the boat arrivals. They are only a small part of the problem. 

What the media / government don't report on is the number of people overstaying their visa and only popping up when they apply under a different route. These numbers will be far greater than the boat arrivals.

So for all the money spent on Rwanda or this so called new security command, id spend that money on recruiting more enforcement officers covering every region and it be like it's own police force. I'd recruit for staff to represent the home office in court appeals, I'd have the home office immediately contacting visa holders before their visa expiry date with their intentions and door knocking if they don't leave the UK or apply to stay. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leviathan13 said:

"after throwing a coffee cup" not quite as bad as throwing bricks.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, El Cid said:

"after throwing a coffee cup" not quite as bad as throwing bricks.

Worse than a few words on the t'interweb, though?

When did "sticks and stones may break my bones..." stop being relevant? Are you one of those who thinks words are 'literally violence'?

• Like 1