1. 1. How will you be voting in the General Election 2024

• Conservative
    • Green
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Reform
    • Other / Independent
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Is your vote the same or different to how you voted in the last General Election

• The Same
    • Different

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, crookesey said:

And all they have to say are those three magic words ‘The Previous Government’ and all is forgiven and forgotten, good old Labour.

Is that any different to when the Government between 2010 - 2024 kept banging on the note that Liam Byrne left?

Or is reference to previous administrations only allowed when it's the Tories?

17 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Also as someone who has worked in the sector, I am aware that here's 'taking personal responsibility' and not accepting offers of help due to fear of other people in some hostels. People do not feel safe in certain environments and frankly I'm not surprised.

Just as a matter of historical record, street homelessness was reduced to its lowest level on record by 2010. Since then it has increased massively:

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/comment/angela-rayner-homelessness-unit

Perhaps your fears as someone who has worked in the sector are not borne out by official figures.  

I might add that while you seem quick to criticise the last Labour Government on homelessness, you also want to criticise the homeless themselves for not showing enough 'personal responsibility'. 

I wonder if you're aware that the Conservative Party itself prides itself on "being the party of personal responsibility", so I wonder how much responsibility they as ministers should show for the massive rise in the homeless. Or is it just about blaming the victims?

Personal responsibility to me means someone realising what is reasonable.

The wait - for those with priority - for a 3bed house is currently 8+ months in some cases and this is exacerbated when people in smaller properties have children and then claim they are overcrowded. The wait for 4bed is over 2 years due to the lack of larger accommodation. So when offered a 3bed maisonette and they turn it down, that is them being unreasonable and not taking personal responsibility for their actions. Either stop having kids or be thankful for what you're given, as far as i'm concerned.

People might think it's harsh to expect someone to be rehoused outside of their desired areas, but what can the council do? There's a limited number of stock available and the demand is outweighing the supply. 

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

Talking of talk being cheap and people pulling the ladder up behind them, the former Chancellor of the Exchequer tweeted this message:

image.png.ec6288364f58e1a4040767fcb7b023c6.png

complete with a broken heart emoji. Awww how sweet.

The Tories record on record rises in homelessness, austerity, benefit cuts, local government cuts was very quickly pointed out to Mr Zahawi, as was his voting record and his tax affairs. On Twitter, not on here, obviously 

image.png.ae47fa642fe42785f82078f0a9086f45.png 

Just been talking to a homeless man outside Lidle ,  he lived with his mam who died. then found him self on the Street due to not being a fixed tenant .

He admits he has been a bit of a twaaaat in the past , but things just happened , he now lives in a tent in the summer,   near us . There but for the grace of the dog go us .

2 hours ago, leviathan13 said:

I see Angie-baby is attempting to pull the ladder up after her...

Made a mint out of Right To Buy but wants to stop others from doing the same.

Bit like when Diane Odd-shoes wanted to do the same with private schools - it's OK for her kids to attend them but everyone else can do one...

The hypocrisy of the left in an absolute nutshell.

Bet they wouldn't use off shore accounts either!!😜

Just now, leviathan13 said:

Personal responsibility to me means someone realising what is reasonable.

The wait - for those with priority - for a 3bed house is currently 8+ months in some cases and this is exacerbated when people in smaller properties have children and then claim they are overcrowded. The wait for 4bed is over 2 years due to the lack of larger accommodation. So when offered a 3bed maisonette and they turn it down, that is them being unreasonable and not taking personal responsibility for their actions. Either stop having kids or be thankful for what you're given, as far as i'm concerned.

People might think it's harsh to expect someone to be rehoused outside of their desired areas, but what can the council do? There's a limited number of stock available and the demand is outweighing the supply. 

What is reasonable is often dependent on personal circumstances, who is doing the defining and to whom it applies.

With regards to refusing an offer: my understanding is that the housing provider can reduce your points, or remove you from the list entirely.

With regards to not having children, many people have taken this advice and are not bothering, so much so that some MPs are concerned that there won't be enough people to look after our aging population. Most are thankful for what they are given, though worth bearing in mind that many people on housing waiting lists are also in work as well. Along with those not fortunate enough to be in work, they are entitled to some rights, and not just expected to be grateful serfs, huddled in their slums for fear of raising the ire of those above them and their lackeys.

6 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

The hypocrisy of the left in an absolute nutshell.

Bet they wouldn't use off shore accounts either!!😜

Plenty of hypocrisy from the Tories in the last 14 years as well.

With regards to the right to buy, I support the fact that the Government are trying to ensure there is a supply of publically owned housing for people in need as well.

10 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Is that any different to when the Government between 2010 - 2024 kept banging on the note that Liam Byrne left?

Or is reference to previous administrations only allowed when it's the Tories?

Well Labour spokespersons have never stopped saying it since the GE, I can’t recall what the Tories said, it’s that long ago, however as you can, your a better man than me Gunga Din.

8 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Just been talking to a homeless man outside Lidle ,  he lived with his mam who died. then found him self on the Street due to not being a fixed tenant .

He admits he has been a bit of a twaaaat in the past , but things just happened , he now lives in a tent in the summer,   near us . There but for the grace of the dog go us .

I think that's right. Especially in the context of housing. Anyone can become unemployed and not be able to afford the mortgage, or have a breakdown and not be able to cope with maintaining a tenancy. Nowadays especially few people are able to have savings living hand to mouth. 

Just now, crookesey said:

Well Labour spokespersons have never stopped saying it since the GE, I can’t recall what the Tories said, it’s that long ago, however as you can, your a better man than me Gunga Din.

I can remember during the election, Tory spokesman Kevin Hollinrake was on TV going on about the debt that Labour left, a full 16 years after the event. Given that it's been 8 weeks since the election, I think the new government are as entitled to the slack the previous government were given.

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

I think that's right. Especially in the context of housing. Anyone can become unemployed and not be able to afford the mortgage, or have a breakdown and not be able to cope with maintaining a tenancy. Nowadays especially few people are able to have savings living hand to mouth. 

Please forgive my change of content but my hobby horse of converting the City Centre into student accommodation, thus freeing up current suburban student lets, would go a long way to solving the housing problem.