1. 1. How will you be voting in the General Election 2024

• Conservative
    • Green
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Reform
    • Other / Independent
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Is your vote the same or different to how you voted in the last General Election

• The Same
    • Different

This poll is closed to new votes

18 minutes ago, crisispoint said:

How do you go about starting a petition to recall an MP, mine voted with the government on the winter fuel payment.

Your MP is absolutely correct to vote with the government.

I can’t think of any reason why my kid’s taxes should be used to pay  Alan Sugar’s gas bill.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

Your MP is absolutely correct to vote with the government.

I can’t think of any reason why my kid’s taxes should be used to pay  Alan Sugar’s gas bill.

But that's the thing, there aren't many Alan Sugars in the UK but there are millions of pensioners whose kids and grandkids will have to help them pay their gas bills this winter because the winter fuel allowance won't be paid to them, but they will have private pensions high enough to pay tax on too high to claim pension credit, unable to get any other benefits, because be paid benefits tends to depend on what other benefits you are being paid.

Those children and grandchildren will remember what labour did to their elderly relatives, remember thatcher the milk snatcher, they'll remember thieving Reeves and Kier Starver.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crisispoint said:

How do you go about starting a petition to recall an MP, mine voted with the government on the winter fuel payment.

So you feel that is justified for a £200 benefit? What about Rishi Sunak that raised corporation tax from 19% to 25% costing businesses billions, maybe that was a difficult decision that needed to be taken?

I am sure that increase in tax caused businesses to increase their prices.

Just now, El Cid said:

So you feel that is justified for a £200 benefit? What about Rishi Sunak that raised corporation tax from 19% to 25% costing businesses billions, maybe that was a difficult decision that needed to be taken?

I am sure that increase in tax caused businesses to increase their prices.

Yes

8 minutes ago, crisispoint said:

But that's the thing, there aren't many Alan Sugars in the UK but there are millions of pensioners whose kids and grandkids will have to help them pay their gas bills this winter because the winter fuel allowance won't be paid to them, but they will have private pensions high enough to pay tax on too high to claim pension credit, unable to get any other benefits, because be paid benefits tends to depend on what other benefits you are being paid.

Those children and grandchildren will remember what labour did to their elderly relatives, remember thatcher the milk snatcher, they'll remember thieving Reeves and Kier Starver.

I don’t dispute that the boundary has been set a little low, but the principle remains that we shouldn’t be paying benefits to people who don’t need them. 

Pensioners are well looked after by the triple lock. The state pension is set to rise by £400 this year, whilst energy prices are on a downward trend. All of  people pleading poverty, whilst having income from a private pension will be ok. Nobody is going to freeze to death.

Incidentally, I’m one of those who would have got the payment, but now won’t. 

Next stop should be removing child benefit from those who don’t need it.

We need a root and branch review of the benefits system to ensure that the taxpayer gets value for money.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Prettytom said:

I don’t dispute that the boundary has been set a little low, but the principle remains that we shouldn’t be paying benefits to people who don’t need them. 

Pensioners are well looked after by the triple lock. The state pension is set to rise by £400 this year, whilst energy prices are on a downward trend. All of  people pleading poverty, whilst having income from a private pension will be ok. Nobody is going to freeze to death.

Incidentally, I’m one of those who would have got the payment, but now won’t. 

Next stop should be removing child benefit from those who don’t need it.

We need a root and branch review of the benefits system to ensure that the taxpayer gets value for money.  

I totally agree with the last paragraph I would add if the NHS and the civil service too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crisispoint said:

I totally agree with the last paragraph I would add if the NHS and the civil service too.

Definitely.

You can add in senior management pay in those places, plus the education sector. 

There are plenty of places to

look for savings.