1. 1. How will you be voting in the General Election 2024

• Conservative
    • Green
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Reform
    • Other / Independent
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Is your vote the same or different to how you voted in the last General Election

• The Same
    • Different

This poll is closed to new votes

11 hours ago, crisispoint said:

But that's the thing, there aren't many Alan Sugars in the UK but there are millions of pensioners whose kids and grandkids will have to help them pay their gas bills this winter because the winter fuel allowance won't be paid to them, but they will have private pensions high enough to pay tax on too high to claim pension credit, unable to get any other benefits, because be paid benefits tends to depend on what other benefits you are being paid.

Those children and grandchildren will remember what labour did to their elderly relatives, remember thatcher the milk snatcher, they'll remember thieving Reeves and Kier Starver.

I would bet that there are far more parents and grandparents helping their  children and grandchildren with basic living costs including mortgages and child care.

By all means assist those who are in poverty but let’s not pretend that the majority of pensioners are in dire straits.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RJRB said:

I would bet that there are far more parents and grandparents helping their  children and grandchildren with basic living costs including mortgages and child care.

By all means assist those who are in poverty but let’s not pretend that the majority of pensioners are in dire straits.

But suppose the majority are in dire straits, or close to, by it's very nature there will be far more near the poverty line than those with wads if cash to share with families.

5 hours ago, crisispoint said:

But suppose the majority are in dire straits, or close to, by it's very nature there will be far more near the poverty line than those with wads if cash to share with families.

I do not believe that the majority are in dire straits having lived and worked in a relatively buoyant post war economy.We have had several generations where the general expectation was that you would have a better standard of living than your parents had.

Some may not have and slipped through the net.Some may have lived for the day and not paid into a pension fund.Some may have raided their pension fund for other purposes.Some,particularly women may never have had a decent private pension.

I had an index linked pension and do not need the fuel payment although I would not say I had wads of cash,but enough.

Others do need it and perhaps should get more,or more people might need it.

Better targeting should be the aim and in that respect Starmer should have had a more sensible plan and timescale.

20 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Owt happened with the slum landlord who’s in the Commons yet ?

Yes, he was thoroughly outraged that he didn't know a thing about it and sacked the management company.

Its amazing how sorry someone can be when they're named and shamed.....

https://www.ft.com/content/e1ba006c-a4d1-4e13-9851-af1195a15d87

4 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Yes, he was thoroughly outraged that he didn't know a thing about it and sacked the management company.

Its amazing how sorry someone can be when they're named and shamed.....

https://www.ft.com/content/e1ba006c-a4d1-4e13-9851-af1195a15d87

Or caught out . Has he got his landlords licence yet , the one he introduced ?

Edited by hackey lad

16 hours ago, RJRB said:

I've not yet met anyone needing direct financial support from their parents/Grandparents.  Childcare on the other hand very much so, either covering a day a week or a week during the summer holiday period.  

In a way that's financial support, childcare is expensive, and having to drop to part time work to cover childcare not only limits a persons immediate salary but also limits their career progression and future earning potential.

The summer/holiday clubs was also in the news this year, I think well over a grand per child was the average cost?