1. 1. How will you be voting in the General Election 2024

• Conservative
    • Green
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Reform
    • Other / Independent
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Is your vote the same or different to how you voted in the last General Election

• The Same
    • Different

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

As far as I'm aware the HMRC have said nothing publicly that they are not taking further action and that came from an unidentified "Labour Source".... but how does that Labour source know, who told them their decision before it became public record? and if it is correct, why did Raynor not be all over it quashing the investigation.

Channel 4 news have just said both HMRC and Stockport Council have said there's nothing to investigate as far as they are concerned.

This is not just flogging a dead horse now, it's flogging a horse that has been officially pronounced dead by three different vets.

Maybe the Labour Party should insist that the MP who got GMP to reopen an investigation into Raynor (remember, they'd already investigated this in the past and decided, as now, there was no case to answer) be investigated for making false allegations and wasting police time.

What is ambiguous about the GMP statement?  GMP  link; perhaps there is a lawyer on the forum who could explain exactly what is ambiguous.

The following statement can be attributed to a Greater Manchester Police spokesperson:

“Following allegations about Angela Rayner MP, Greater Manchester Police has completed a thorough, carefully considered and proportionate investigation.  

We have concluded that no further police action will be taken. 

“The investigation originated from complaints made by Mr James Daly MP directly to GMP.

Subsequent further contact with GMP by members of the public, and claims made by individuals featured in media reporting, indicated a strong public interest in the need for allegations to be investigated.

“Matters involving council tax and personal tax do not fall into the jurisdiction of policing. GMP has liaised with Stockport Council and information about our investigation has been shared with them. Details of our investigation have also been shared with His Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC).”

They are surely quite correct in not detailing the allegations made against her, as they have decided that no action will be taken by them.
Even the Tory MP concerned refused to say why he wanted the case(s) re-opening; maybe he was concerned about libel, who knows.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/tory-mp-complained-labours-angela-121900379.html

The tax allegations widely reported in the press were well covered by the likes of Dan Neidle, in a New Statesman article, as well as his own website, (if the accusation was of deliberate fraud, the GMP might have it within their scope).
Electoral fraud could be within the remit of GMP, which might well have taken some time to investigate, but I thought that there was a 12month time limit on that.

Personally I would question whether this is appropriate use of police time, involving at least a dozen officers, for what would seem to be a political motive. Mirror link

Tory ‘attack dog’ reheats failed ploy used against Starmer to go for Rayner  Guardian; read the whole article, it seems to cover various aspects quite well.

30 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Good news , bad news day for Sir Kier . First Rayner , then Abbot . Could get messy this one . 

On the face of it, if the reporting by Victoria Derbyshire is correct, the behaviour of a number of officials in the Labour Party has been appalling.
Some media reports are now out of date, and others clearly biased in one direction or another, so it might be worth tuning in to the BBC this evening.
It really does appear that someone was trying to delay things, until it was too late for her to stand as an independent.
Personally I think she probably is due for retirement, but that doesn't justify the way she seems to have been treated; she may still barred from standing again of course.
Can we have more reporters like Derbyshire on the BBC please.
I would imagine Labour launching an investigation on how the news got out of HQ; I did see a report of all Labour staff being required to hand in their official phones for analysis.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Starmer wanted shut of her but his bosses dug their heels in . 

not true, its always the NEC or whoever it is that decide and hes always stated so, same with Corbyn

Edited by melthebell

30 minutes ago, peak4 said:

On the face of it, if the reporting by Victoria Derbyshire is correct, the behaviour of a number of officials in the Labour Party has been appalling.
Some media reports are now out of date, and others clearly biased in one direction or another, so it might be worth tuning in to the BBC this evening.
It really does appear that someone was trying to delay things, until it was too late for her to stand as an independent.
Personally I think she probably is due for retirement, but that doesn't justify the way she seems to have been treated; she may still barred from standing again of course.
Can we have more reporters like Derbyshire on the BBC please.
I would imagine Labour launching an investigation on how the news got out of HQ; I did see a report of all Labour staff being required to hand in their official phones for analysis.

I think the way Labour have handled this is disgusting.

Exactly the same as they handled the Nick Brown investigation. He waited over 12 months, and the Labour Party just sat on their hands. Eventually he resigned his position. I suspect they wanted Abbott to do the same. 

If they think that this a 'party matter', and nothing to do with the public, then they're very much mistaken. People will notice the way that some in the party are treated more favourably than others, and will see the factionalism that is being played out.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I think the way Labour have handled this is disgusting.

Exactly the same as they handled the Nick Brown investigation. He waited over 12 months, and the Labour Party just sat on their hands. Eventually he resigned his position. I suspect they wanted Abbott to do the same. 

If they think that this a 'party matter', and nothing to do with the public, then they're very much mistaken. People will notice the way that some in the party are treated more favourably than others, and will see the factionalism that is being played out.

:thumbsup: