1. 1. How will you be voting in the General Election 2024

• Conservative
    • Green
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Reform
    • Other / Independent
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Is your vote the same or different to how you voted in the last General Election

• The Same
    • Different

This poll is closed to new votes

13 minutes ago, cressida said:

Sir Keir has been giving a rousing speech this afternoon.  I didn't know his sister is a care worker,  he said 'wouldn't it be wonderful if she walked into a room and was given the same respect as the Prime Minister.   His brother had learning difficulties and their father told Sir Keir 'he has achieved as much as you'. 

I didn't know he had a brother with learning difficulties, but yes the point about according people equal respect was a good one.

I thought he was at his strongest in the speech when he spoke about the riots.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cressida said:

He said last year he went to the Lake District and found the cottage where he and his family had stayed when he was a child,  the couple came out to greet him and said he could look around,  upstairs as well,  a bit later the husband said to his wife 'you don't know who this is do you?' then told her, she said,  if I'd known that I'd have pushed you down the stairs.

It was more of an after dinner speech.

3 minutes ago, cressida said:

I didn't vote Labour but I try to be fair minded,  it was a good speech.

After dinner speeches can be very good, I’ve no axe to grind as I didn’t vote for anyone and his speech hasn’t made me want to support him.

6 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Cheers, had he or any of the other party leaders pledged to allow a repeal of Brexit referendum I would have walked bare footed to the polling station.

Although knowing that they wouldn't get elected I voted Liberal because of their policy on electoral reform ( calling ourselves a democracy while using the current system is laughable ) and also because of their policy with regard to the EU.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c84431zk817o

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, m williamson said:

Although knowing that they wouldn't get elected I voted Liberal because of their policy on electoral reform ( calling ourselves a democracy while using the current system is laughable ) and also because of their policy with regard to the EU.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c84431zk817o

They could have afforded to throw in the pledge of a referendum to renewed EU membership.

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, crookesey said:

They could have afforded to throw in the pledge of a referendum to renewed EU membership.

I agree, what had they got to lose?  None of the parties have the cojones to admit it was a major mistake, explain why to the electorate and provide another opportunity to change our mind, or alternatively confirm the first vote.

Democratic decisions are not carved in stone or written in blood. In any other set of circumstances when people realise a mistake has been made they take steps to rectify the problem.

That's why we have something called divorce. Problems can happen even after an oath has been taken. Nobody took an oath over Brexit and I'm reasonably sure nobody voted to make the majority poorer, but that's how it turned out.

If I'm wrong then the country will vote Brexit again and the decision will be confirmed. Of course we would then need to get the permission of all 27 members to allow us back in and there's no guarantee that would happen.

Rejoining the Single Market and having Farage's ' Norway Option ' would be the sensible and pragmatic way to go, but that's probably why it won't happen.