1. 1. How will you be voting in the General Election 2024

• Conservative
    • Green
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Reform
    • Other / Independent
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Is your vote the same or different to how you voted in the last General Election

• The Same
    • Different

This poll is closed to new votes

3 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

There's many  other private schools around in the north that charge far less than that.

There's a prep school in Liverpool that charges less than £10,000.

image.png.8dfad6bee381378c502eac510b15afec.png

And these parents don't have "that much spare cash lying around" - some of them work extra jobs, live in cheaper houses so their kids can have a better start.  

You'd do well to read this from the TES

https://www.tes.com/magazine/analysis/general/taxing-private-schools-truth-behind-bluster

Most private schools charge £20 000+ per year. Most parents who send their kids to private school are well off by any metric you use. 

Let’s not pretend that this is an assault on the aspiring working and lower middle classes. It’s quite the opposite, it is the privileged, using their privilege to keep an unwarranted subsidy to their already comfortable lifestyles.

Private schools can keep their fees down by making efficiency savings. Meanwhile, state schools will improve as their PTR reduces.

14 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

Most private schools charge £20 000+ per year. Most parents who send their kids to private school are well off by any metric you use. 

Let’s not pretend that this is an assault on the aspiring working and lower middle classes. It’s quite the opposite, it is the privileged, using their privilege to keep an unwarranted subsidy to their already comfortable lifestyles.

Private schools can keep their fees down by making efficiency savings. Meanwhile, state schools will improve as their PTR reduces.

That's nonsense.  The average charge is around £15,000 per year which takes into account  schools such as Eton which charge over £50,000 per year.  Most parents will be paying less than the average fee.  Most private schools are day schools. VAT on school fees will affect the less wealthy most.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by High Chaparral
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, High Chaparral said:

That's nonsense.  The average charge is around £15,000 per year which takes into account  schools such as Eton which charge over £50,000 per year.  Most parents will be paying less than the average fee.  Most private schools are day schools. VAT on school fees will affect the less wealthy most.

image.png

image.png

image.png

£7000 per term for day pupils, £13000 per term for boarders actually.

Anyone with that much spare cash should be able to afford to pay their taxes too. In any case, nobody is forcing them to use private schools. Perfectly good state schools exist. It is purely a matter of choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prettytom said:

£7000 per term for day pupils, £13000 per term for boarders actually.

Anyone with that much spare cash should be able to afford to pay their taxes too. In any case, nobody is forcing them to use private schools. Perfectly good state schools exist. It is purely a matter of choice.

You're wrong with your figures.

Parents and grandparents paying private school fees are paying taxes.  A contribution of their taxes go to funding children going to state schools which their own children don't attend.  They are effectively paying twice to educate their children.  There is a good reason why school fees have been exempt from VAT and that is to support businesses providing educational services.  The dreadful Labour government will not earn the revenue for the treasury they are claiming by charging VAT because private schools will be able to claim VAT back in the future on goods and services required to run and maintain their schools.  At least the Labour party had VAT on private school fees in their election manifesto unlike the removal of winter fuel allowance for pensioners.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, High Chaparral said:

You're wrong with your figures.

Parents and grandparents paying private school fees are paying taxes.  A contribution of their taxes go to funding children going to state schools which their own children don't attend.  They are effectively paying twice to educate their children.  There is a good reason why school fees have been exempt from VAT and that is to support businesses providing educational services.  The dreadful Labour government will not earn the revenue for the treasury they are claiming by charging VAT because private schools will be able to claim VAT back in the future on goods and services required to run and maintain their schools.  At least the Labour party had VAT on private school fees in their election manifesto unlike the removal of winter fuel allowance for pensioners.

My figures are absolutely correct.

If people wish to send their kids to private schools, I’ve no problem with that. I do have a problem with the state subsidising that choice. I’m not alone in that. 

This is a very popular policy, which will become even more popular when it improves the life chances of the 95% of British kids who don’t attend private schools.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

My figures are absolutely correct.

If people wish to send their kids to private schools, I’ve no problem with that. I do have a problem with the state subsidising that choice. I’m not alone in that. 

This is a very popular policy, which will become even more popular when it improves the life chances of the 95% of British kids who don’t attend private schools.

Your figures are absolutely wrong.

While some famous schools like Eton and Harrow charge about £50,000 a year, the average across the UK is about £15,000.

There are about 2,500 private schools in the UK, educating about 7% of all pupils, including about 570,000 in England.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c033dp0z1edo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prettytom said:

And what about the state place freed up by sending said child to a private school, reducing burden on school places and class sizes?

• Like 1