1. 1. How will you be voting in the General Election 2024

• Conservative
    • Green
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Reform
    • Other / Independent
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Is your vote the same or different to how you voted in the last General Election

• The Same
    • Different

This poll is closed to new votes

An ounce of empathy is worth a pound of criticism so I try to give oldies as much time and space as they need after seeing these experiments. 

Edited by Tony

12 minutes ago, Tony said:

Is it because he was an evil Tory with no more right to live on God's clean earth than a slug?

Of course not. It's because as we well know, in the moment people may have individual points that they are more or less happy with.  

How many Labour MPs including the current Cabinet voted against policies which they are now implementing, including Conservative policies? In 80 years they will wonder with horror why almost the entire Labour Parliamentary Party voted to freeze pensioners to death this winter.

Maybe look at it this way - Churchill did a pretty poor job of objecting as the NHS was developed on his watch as Prime Minister when there were a couple of other things that might have justified more attention, like Nazis and Communists. Neither did he cancel it a mere three years later in 1951 when he became PM again. Let's not revise history in the face of evidence . "From cradle to grave" is  actually a Churchill saying in 1943.

https://history.blog.gov.uk/2023/07/13/the-founding-of-the-nhs-75-years-on/

The Tories are just fine with the NHS being a thing and anyone saying different is a political bad actor. Like I said, lets not be kidded  kidded by politicians and axe grinders.

More generally and not directed especially at you Mister M, perhaps we can try to discuss things here in the knowledge that there is almost always nuance  instead of just point scoring all the time. It's why I keep disappearing from SF - it's pathetic and there are plenty of people here who are much, much better than that. Cheers, its much more fun end enlightening. :) 

I wasn't trying to score points, merely try to argue the point with the facts as I understood them

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, High Chaparral said:

Nonsense

Both the Conservative and Labour agreed on the idea of an NHS, though they differed on key points of its model and implementation. Maybe understand what I was trying to say before rushing in to criticise

Edited by Mister M

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

Both the Conservative and Labour agreed on the idea of an NHS, though they differed on key points of its model and implementation.

That is fair unlike implying Winston Churchill was against the implementation of the NHS. It was Winston Churchill's war time government that started the ball rolling. 

• Like 1