1. 1. How will you be voting in the General Election 2024

• Conservative
    • Green
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Reform
    • Other / Independent
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Is your vote the same or different to how you voted in the last General Election

• The Same
    • Different

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

It helps if you state what the comment relates to - you were not very clear.

Who, in the current Government, or Opposition, have beliefs that are for the good of the country - as a whole. If the answer is 'no-one' - who does?

Do you mean 'who is for the many and not the few'?

"Good of the country" is a false premise in my view. Different people in the country have divergent interests, so what is good for one group / class isn't good for another. I just think it's a redundant and unhelpful term, similar to when people say something is 'good for the economy', to which the correct question is 'good for who in the economy?'

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

Do you mean 'who is for the many and not the few'?

I suppose I do, although that was not the intention when I posted it.

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

Good of the country" is a false premise in my view. Different people in the country have divergent interests, so what is good for one group / class isn't good for another. I just think it's a redundant and unhelpful term, similar to when people say something is 'good for the economy', to which the correct question is 'good for who in the economy?'

Bolded bit - to which you are entitled, but we all have a different interpretation of that term.

I agree that different  people have different priorities, but a competent administration - which we haven't had for a very long time - should be able to reach a reasonable balance. Note I said a 'reasonable balance', because it is impossible to satisfy everyone all the time. Again, you are entitled to your opinion of the term, and I am entitled to disagree.

Edited by RollingJ

The problem with politics in this country is the same as the problem with politics in every country. The difference is only in the amount of pain and damage the political system inflicts on the ordinary people.

In some ways I suppose we can be grateful for that, but wanting it to be better and demanding that it should be is the right thing to do. 

May be an image of 1 person and text

4 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Bolded bit - to which you are entitled, but we all have a different interpretation of that term.

I agree that different  people have different priorities, but a competent administration - which we haven't had for a very long time - should be able to reach a reasonable balance. Note I said a 'reasonable balance', because it is impossible to satisfy everyone all the time. Again, you are entitled to your opinion of the term, and I am entitled to disagree.

Good for the country would mean good for the Government, meaning the exchequer.

It's then up to the Government to decide where the revenue is spent. It could be spent improving the health or education of the people, or maybe transport.

2 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Good for the country would mean good for the Government, meaning the exchequer.

It's then up to the Government to decide where the revenue is spent. It could be spent improving the health or education of the people, or maybe transport.

A little simplistic, and not what I meant, but I'm in no mood to get into a long discussion tonight. Maybe I'll expand tomorrow - or maybe I won't.

2 hours ago, Bellatrix said:

Genuinely don't know if Liz Truss is floridly unravelling, or if she's performatively bonkers because that's what it takes to truffle out a sub-Trumplandian media career after being dumped by the electorate.

At the recent Tory party conference Liz Truss attracted the largest audiences with big queues waiting to listen to her.