1. 1. How will you be voting in the General Election 2024

• Conservative
    • Green
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Reform
    • Other / Independent
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Is your vote the same or different to how you voted in the last General Election

• The Same
    • Different

This poll is closed to new votes

33 minutes ago, m williamson said:

Liz Truss doesn't deserve credit. It's obvious that she's one of those people who is incapable of accepting responsibility for her mistakes.

Everyone makes mistakes, no one can be right all the time but anyone with commonsense accepts they made an error and tries to learn from it. Truss apologised for the mistake which cost the taxpayer billions but said that she'd dealt with it by appointing a new Chancellor. The implication being that it was Kwasi Kwarteng's fault. He was the Chancellor appointed by Truss and served for 48 days. Truss chose him and was fully aware of what the mini budget - which caused the problem - contained.

If the problem was rectified by choosing a different Chancellor then whoever chose the first Chancellor was responsible for the problem. That was Liz Truss.

I'd suggest that she didn't make a mistake, other than doing what was asked of her by others.
Think tank behind Truss’s budget shouldn’t be a charity, says ex-watchdog official   Open Democracy, but various other sources
Charity Commission accused of failing to control Institute of Economic Affairs, which inspired doomed tax cuts

The secretive group that inspired Liz Truss’s disastrous mini-budget should be stripped of its charitable status, a former charity regulator official has said.

Earlier this week, the prime minister was forced to U-turn on scrapping the top rate of income tax after the pound crashed to a record low against the dollar and the Bank of England had to make an emergency intervention to prevent pension funds collapsing.

The Institute of Economic Affairs (IEA), a free market think tank that has long been close to Truss, took credit for the doomed policy when it was announced by the chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng in September’s mini-budget.

Andrew Purkis, who served as a board member on the Charity Commission between 2007 and 2010, has accused the IEA of breaching the regulator’s rules on political lobbying.

Revealed: Money men behind disastrous Truss mini budget now pumping millions into Sunak  Peter Geoghegan  via Linked-in
Our investigation finds bosses of Tufton Street think tanks have given £35 million to the Tories but have not donated a penny to Labour - despite their ‘non-partisan’ status
Rishi Sunak likes to present himself as very different to Liz Truss.
The Tory leader has said that Truss’s economic policies were “wrong” and tried to distance himself from her calamitous six-week term.
But a major new investigation by this newsletter - published in conjunction with Led by Donkeys and the Mirror - has found that Sunak’s party is being bankrolled by the same super-wealthy donors that were behind Truss and her disastrous mini-budget. 
Directors, trustees and advisors of some of the most influential ‘Tufton Street’ right-wing think tanks have given more than £5.5 million to the Tories since Sunak replaced Truss in October 2022 - including £100,000 from a man once described by Reuters as “a former Russian arms tycoon.”
These right-wing think tanks - which do not declare their donors but have previously received funding from oil, gas and tobacco firms - have been widely credited with dreaming up Truss’s mini-budget that saw sterling crash and mortgages soar.

16 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Two-year old news, but still a bit revealing, I suppose. As Labour are now 'in charge' though, maybe change will be forthcoming?

(Don't hold your breath).

Don’t talk about Labour on here , They don’t like it . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just watched the Boris interview, a little disjointed and rambling but interesting for all that.

I'd still vote for Boris, I must admit, I'd also vote for Dominic Raab if he made a come back.

I trusted them to lead. Sir Kier doesn't seem to know what it means and Liz and Rishi were incapable of leadership, I do think Liz was shafted to get Rishi in I also think Rishi would have been a better PM if he'd been given more time as a minister.

Edited by crisispoint
Comedy to come, Freudian slip maybe.

I can understand you voting for Boris,  his demise was due to hype - I mean,  didn't everyone celebrate their birthdays during Covid?

His successors (?) were lack-lustre in comparisons,  wouldn't vote for Raab after he wouldn't take a telephone call - Afghan interpreters were just left in the lurch which was disgraceful.

Some of those Tory backbenchers or ones who wanted Boris out stitched themselves up,  they certainly didn't have a contingency plan.  I'd love to know how many lost their seats haha.

• Like 1