1. 1. How will you be voting in the General Election 2024

• Conservative
    • Green
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Reform
    • Other / Independent
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Is your vote the same or different to how you voted in the last General Election

• The Same
    • Different

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, Anna B said:

Oh come on, not this again... it's been done to death...

'Disadvantaged people,' will that do?

Please feel free to define it yourself, you know who I mean. 

Good way to derail the thread though: get deliberately bogged down in detail, and miss the argument entirely. 

As I said, a clear definition would do - 'disadvantaged people' is open to discussion, and depends how they are disadvantaged - compared to who, for instance.

I thought 'working class' was defined as a term of abuse these days, anyway.

No way am I 'derailing' the thread - I thought it was for general political discussion?

5 minutes ago, El Cid said:

which is why some pensioners can afford a Rolex.

Oh yes, this mysterious Rolex that some eagle eye people are supposed to have identified! A Rolex no one can see properly. No one can say what makes it stand out as a Rolex.

But social media users quickly drew attention to the watch worn by the first man to appear, which had a gold and silver strap and a blue dial.

Aside from whether the watch could have been a gift, a hard-earned-present, a fake, or even a £60 Sekonda, there's nothing like the politics of envy to distract.

If it has been the Tories planning to axe it, the Mirror would have been up in arms.  But no, the first thing it decides to do is attack elderly people for having nice things like pianos in their homes. This hatred for pensioners because they have nice stuff that they WORKED HARD for or were gifted even, is abhorrent.

image.thumb.png.3bfcf2bf7c9584266a21b8f70ff58e55.png

Let this be a lesson everyone. Don’t buy nice things for your home and yourself whilst working hard through your life time. When you get old they will be held against you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Mister M said:

Not a good thing, but better than not having marches at all. We are a democracy with human rights - just.

Oh sorry hun, forgot you don't like swear words

“ hun” . What’s all that about  ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, High Chaparral said:

There is doubt about claims the country was left in a terrible mess after 14 years of the Tories.  Labour has been accused of huge exaggerations of the state of things.  The Tory owned media as you call it didn't do the Tory government any favours and contributed in a big way to their downfall.  If it wasn't for the covid pandemic then we would still have a Tory government led mostly likely by Boris Johnson. 

Hang on - when the Tories took over from Labour all we heard was 'waaah Labour spent all the money', 'waaaah they didn't fix the roof when the sun was shining". Bear in mind that Labour left office with most public services in good condition, but Government debt at £1.22 trillion and some stupid traditional note.

When the Tories left office in 2024, public services are fit for collapsing and public debt was £2.77 trillion. And Government fraud has totally spiraled out of control, and we lose about 4% of our GDP every year because of Brexit. 

So even by their own measures they failed. 

Those are the facts which are verifiable. 

As for this blaming the pandemic, well tough. That's what Prime Ministers and Governments do they just have to deal with things as they are and make adjustments.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

As I said, a clear definition would do - 'disadvantaged people' is open to discussion, and depends how they are disadvantaged - compared to who, for instance.

I thought 'working class' was defined as a term of abuse these days, anyway.

No way am I 'derailing' the thread - I thought it was for general political discussion?

Why on earth would working class be a term of abuse?

They are the means of production and as important (arguably more important) than anyone else. It could be argued that everyone other than those living off trust funds and investments etc are working class.

The fact that some might see it as a term of abuse speaks volumes about the class divide in this country. Instead of working together with a mutual respect, it's a battle between  greed and poverty.  The divide is so big that some have given up altogether. If working hard doesn't buy you the basics of a reasonably secure life, like a roof over your head and enough food on the table, what's the point of working hard any more?  This is the result of 14 years of Tory rule and free market economics.

16 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Why on earth would working class be a term of abuse?

They are the means of production and as important (arguably more important) than anyone else. It could be argued that everyone other than those living off trust funds and investments etc are working class.

The fact that some might see it as a term of abuse speaks volumes about the class divide in this country. Instead of working together with a mutual respect, it's a battle between  greed and poverty.  The divide is so big that some have given up altogether. If working hard doesn't buy you the basics of a reasonably secure life, like a roof over your head and enough food on the table, what's the point of working hard any more?  This is the result of 14 years of Tory rule and free market economics.

Yes dear! 🤣

Sorry but you are so predicable, I think I shall put you on my personal  'ignore'  list- that doesn't mean I don't scan-read your posts, just that I don't bother replying.

Edited by RollingJ
  • Sad 1