1. 1. How will you be voting in the General Election 2024

• Conservative
    • Green
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Reform
    • Other / Independent
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Is your vote the same or different to how you voted in the last General Election

• The Same
    • Different

This poll is closed to new votes

3 minutes ago, High Chaparral said:

Why is Sir Keir Starmer obsessed about removing paintings from 10 Downing Street? The latest to be removed are historic portraits of Elizabeth I, Sir Walter Raleigh and William Gladstone.  

Slavery and jews. 

• Sad 1

Is nobody capable of reading beyond the clickbait headlines in their rush to mock or demonise people?
Regarding the recent change on paintings, which the Telegraph led with this title;
Starmer removes paintings of Queen Elizabeth I and Sir Walter Raleigh from No 10

Sir Keir Starmer has taken down portraits of Elizabeth I and Sir Walter Raleigh that were on display in Downing Street, The Telegraph can reveal.

The paintings of the last Tudor monarch and the famous explorer of the Americas were previously on the walls of a room used for prime ministerial meetings with world leaders.

Given that the room is used for meetings with other world leaders, perhaps it was felt that a continual reminder of our past colonialism and the slave trade, might be less than ideal for entertaining foreign leaders who's countries had previously been thus affected.

The body of the text also contains the following gem;

On Sunday night, Downing Street said the changes to the artwork had actually been drawn up under the previous government. 

A spokesman said: “The change of artwork is long planned, since before the election, and is timed to mark 125 years of the Government Art Collection.”

Both Elizabeth I and Raleigh have been criticised over their links to the slave trade. 

I didn't read the 'clickbait' - merely responded to the posts on here.

Both Elizabeth I and Raleigh have been criticised over their links to the slave trade. I'm sure you could find a similar reason to remove many historical paintings/sculptures/w.h.y. if you looked hard enough.

Edited by RollingJ

If we are to engage in gesture politics perhaps I can suggest a couple of pictures of other Brits to go in their place. They will be a tremendous reminder of the gesture that the UK made to the world.

A famous Yorkshireman

William_wilberforce.jpg

And a couple of old photos from HMS Sphinx.

Slave+shackle+being+removed+by+British+s

Slave+shackle+being+removed+by+British+s

Load of fuss over nothing. I remember the fuss made when Obama had the bust of Churchill removed from the Oval Office.

Being a diplomatic guy Obama said it was simply because as the first black President he wanted a bust of Martin Luther King Jr in the office and there was only so much room.

Whether that was the reason, or because Churchill was PM while we were torturing and killing Kenyans in concentration camps in Kenya who knows, and who cares?

How about holding politicians to account for political actions not decorating choices? This government has got off to an inauspicious start ( I'm trying to be as diplomatic as Obama ) how about concentrating on that?

6 minutes ago, m williamson said:

Load of fuss over nothing. I remember the fuss made when Obama had the bust of Churchill removed from the Oval Office.

Being a diplomatic guy Obama said it was simply because as the first black President he wanted a bust of Martin Luther King Jr in the office and there was only so much room.

Whether that was the reason, or because Churchill was PM while we were torturing and killing Kenyans in concentration camps in Kenya who knows, and who cares?

How about holding politicians to account for political actions not decorating choices? This government has got off to an inauspicious start ( I'm trying to be as diplomatic as Obama ) how about concentrating on that?

No problem, for me - I'm merely responding to what is posted. 😁

1 hour ago, peak4 said:

Is nobody capable of reading beyond the clickbait headlines in their rush to mock or demonise people?
Regarding the recent change on paintings, which the Telegraph led with this title;
Starmer removes paintings of Queen Elizabeth I and Sir Walter Raleigh from No 10

Sir Keir Starmer has taken down portraits of Elizabeth I and Sir Walter Raleigh that were on display in Downing Street, The Telegraph can reveal.

The paintings of the last Tudor monarch and the famous explorer of the Americas were previously on the walls of a room used for prime ministerial meetings with world leaders.

Given that the room is used for meetings with other world leaders, perhaps it was felt that a continual reminder of our past colonialism and the slave trade, might be less than ideal for entertaining foreign leaders who's countries had previously been thus affected.

The body of the text also contains the following gem;

On Sunday night, Downing Street said the changes to the artwork had actually been drawn up under the previous government. 

A spokesman said: “The change of artwork is long planned, since before the election, and is timed to mark 125 years of the Government Art Collection.”

Both Elizabeth I and Raleigh have been criticised over their links to the slave trade. 

It's never been a problem for past prime ministers and past governments when entertaining foreign leaders.  

• Like 2