1. 1. How will you be voting in the General Election 2024

• Conservative
    • Green
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Reform
    • Other / Independent
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Is your vote the same or different to how you voted in the last General Election

• The Same
    • Different

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Well, they just renamed the Tories £27.8bn UK Infrastructure Bank to....  the National Wealth Fund.   Tada! *puff of smoke* *flashing lights* *mirrors*

Just like the £63bn from Labour’s UK investment summit.

What Labour failed to mention is that much of that money was pledged while the Tories were still in power. 

Quite funny to see the GDPR blunder though!

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/five-flops-from-labours-investment-summit/

• Like 2

This has got disaster written all over it:

Mental health patients could get job coach visits

Does she realise just how poorly someone has to be before they actually get admitted to hospital? 

It's now 10 years since I worked on the front line in psychiatric care, however I remember well the fact that someone had to be at serious and immediate risk of taking their own lives or that of others before they were even considered as an in patient.

Most patients in psych hospitals are experiencing auditory hallucinations, suicidal impulses or mania - and be receiving heavy duty anti psychotics for this. 

Kendall says the pilot studies for this are successful. However I would question this, and I dare say there have been policies which have been successful at pilot level, yet have not been successful at all when rolled out nationally.

If the DWP are desperate to dragoon as many people with mental health difficulties into the workplace why start with those at the acute phase of their illness? Why not target those who are receiving treatment in the community, and will be much more stable in themselves?

Or is this designed to pacify right wing press who think that people with mental health problems are often those who are simply experiencing life's problems which are medicalised by woke medics ?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, alchresearch said:

What Labour failed to mention is that much of that money was pledged while the Tories were still in power.

You would not expect a party to mention it, would you?

But they will keep reminding you about the massive debt left behind and the tax cuts whilst the debt is rising.

6 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Does she realise just how poorly someone has to be before they actually get admitted to hospital? 

It's now 10 years since I worked on the front line in psychiatric care, however I remember well the fact that someone had to be at serious and immediate risk of taking their own lives or that of others before they were even considered as an in patient.

Most patients in psych hospitals are experiencing auditory hallucinations, suicidal impulses or mania - and be receiving heavy duty anti psychotics for this. 

Kendall says the pilot studies for this are successful. However I would question this, and I dare say there have been policies which have been successful at pilot level, yet have not been successful at all when rolled out nationally.

If the DWP are desperate to dragoon as many people with mental health difficulties into the workplace why start with those at the acute phase of their illness? Why not target those who are receiving treatment in the community, and will be much more stable in themselves?

Or is this designed to pacify right wing press who think that people with mental health problems are often those who are simply experiencing life's problems which are medicalised by woke medics ?

@Mister M, I don't expect you to agree with me, but I get the feeling our leaders are not living in the real world if this is the kind of thinking which is going to exemplify their approach.

6 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Last thing anyone would need when in hospital, is  some clipboard merchant sorting out a cv and roleplaying interviews,  sounds like a scene out of Little Britain

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

Last year , in opposition , Sir Kier was going on about getting asylum seekers out of hotels , citing the cost . This year in power  , Sir Kier and his government are looking for extra hotel rooms for them .  

All Sir Keir Starmer did when he was the leader of the opposition was to criticise whatever the Tory government did.  I remember he said he was going to smash the criminal gangs that provided the dinghies for the migrants but there doesn't seem to be any talk about that now he is prime minister. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

@Mister M, I don't expect you to agree with me, but I get the feeling our leaders are not living in the real world if this is the kind of thinking which is going to exemplify their approach.

I actually don't disagree with the principle of using assertive outreach to target groups of people at risk of long term unemployment. There is absolutely a problem in this country of many people not engaging with the workforce; however going into a psychiatric hospital when someone is at there most vulnerable to talk about getting back to work - is just jaw droppingly awful....

Like I say apparently there have been pilot studies which have attested to its success, however from what I know about those in in patient psychiatric care, it doesn't sound plausible to me at all.

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

I actually don't disagree with the principle of using assertive outreach to target groups of people at risk of long term unemployment. There is absolutely a problem in this country of many people not engaging with the workforce; however going into a psychiatric hospital when someone is at there most vulnerable to talk about getting back to work - is just jaw droppingly awful....

Like I say apparently there have been pilot studies which have attested to its success, however from what I know about those in in patient psychiatric care, it doesn't sound plausible to me at all.

Your first sentence I totally agree with, but to apparently target the specific group we are talking about here seems to have been dreamt up by someone so far to the 'right' with zero empathy, and certainly not something I would expect from any thinking administration - Labour or Conservative. Aiming it at those who are receiving treatment in the community, and will be much more stable in themselves seems  a much saner idea.