1. 1. How will you be voting in the General Election 2024

• Conservative
    • Green
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Reform
    • Other / Independent
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Is your vote the same or different to how you voted in the last General Election

• The Same
    • Different

47 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

There are an awful lot of righty men on here who have problems with strong, left wing women.

Says a lot about their character, or lack of it.

21 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Absolutely, and they end up looking like plonkers when they ally themselves to upper class twits like Johnson, Cameron and Rees Mogg who they hero worship for their arrogance and utter contempt.

I suspect not just left wing women, though that seems prevalent on here, but female politicians generally.
Today's Grauniad
Female UK election candidates report increased abuse
Politicians, activists and charities say online harassment is particularly bad, including hate speech and disinformation.

Abuse of female election candidates is becoming worse, say candidates, activists and charities.

One female Labour candidate in the north of England said “the harassment continues apace” in the build-up to the election, with online harassment being a particular problem.

As well as being subjected to hate speech and targeted comments online, she said she had also experienced disinformation being spread about her, and malicious complaints being made against her to public bodies.

“Some days you can put a good face on and go out and face it,” she said. “And other days you just think: ‘Why do I do this? Why do I bother?’

“Your family are saying: ‘It’s not worth it, step down’. And these conversations are happening up and down the country with candidates and their families, and people who are thinking about putting themselves forward think, ‘Well, do I want to open myself up to this?’ It’s corrosive to our democracy.”

Christine Wallace, the Conservative candidate for Lewisham West and East Dulwich, also ran in last month’s Greater London Authority elections.

“I had thousands of comments of people saying the most horrendous things to me,” she said. “I didn’t read them all, my team looked at a lot of them for me.”

Wallace said there would be more vitriol under her posts than those of male colleagues – an experience common among female candidates.

Zara Sultana has now overtaken Diane Abbott as the most abused MP online
Speaking Truth To Power: MP Zarah Sultana On Westminster’s Toxic Politics  Elle Magazine
'This is not what a functioning democracy looks like.'

From enduring heckling in parliament to receiving the most abuse of any MP on social media, in her own words, Zarah Sultana shares the harsh realities of life as a woman in Westminster, and how she's fighting for change.

I’m a woman, I’m young, I’m Muslim, I’m left wing.

When people attack me, it’s usually for one – or all – of those reasons. Ever since I got elected in 2019, I’ve received abuse and death threats.

Some have been investigated by the police. When the parliamentary authorities discovered I am the most abused MP on social media, I was shocked, but not entirely surprised.

There are 650 MPs; women and women of colour are disproportionately impacted, but for someone who’s only been in the job four years and never had a front-bench position, the authorities found it alarming.

I’m not naive. When I got elected, I knew I would get targeted for my race and religion. Unfortunately, that seems to be a theme in public life.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Another Tory Clown! He looked like  one of Harry Enfields characters,  Tim Nice but Dim. :hihi:

Yeah, was gonna say he looks like he's been assembled from leftover parts of other Tories, or made at Build-a-Tory Workshop and when you press the button on his foot he says "free market solutions"

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Prettytom said:

There are an awful lot of righty men on here who have problems with strong, left wing women.

Says a lot about their character, or lack of it.

What's their sex got to do with it?

I see this accusation on other forums by lefties and I find it odd that because she is a woman and you criticise her, it's obviously because you are a misogynist. It's lazy and also incredibly condescending to women.

It's going down that silly road of calling someone a racist because they criticise a black person, it's pathetic but unsurprising.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

What's their sex got to do with it?

I see this accusation on other forums by lefties and I find it odd that because she is a woman and you criticise her, it's obviously because you are a misogynist. It's lazy and also incredibly condescending to women.

It's going down that silly road of calling someone a racist because they criticise a black person, it's pathetic but unsurprising.

Have a look at the patronising comments on here. There’s a distinct  pattern from some of the righties.

And yes, attacking someone because they are a woman is misogyny. Also, attacking someone because of their race, or racial characteristics is racism.

It is important to call things like that out, I think.

2 hours ago, Mister M said:

You mean barred from the Cannon.

Aww another sour puss. 

I've got an awful lot of time for Angela Rayner. I think she's shown tremendous strength of character to achieve what she has, and we need more people in Parliament and public life in general whose passage through life hasn't been as smooth or easy like Cameron's, Osborne's, Johnson's or Sunak's.

Or Sir Keir , the Benns, Lady Nugee  etc 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

Or Sir Keir , the Benns, Lady Nugee  etc 

Hacks, Nigel Farage is shouting and whining that he wants a spot on the BBC s leader debates.

Shouldn't you be running along and giving him the attention he expects?

3 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Hacks, Nigel Farage is shouting and whining that he wants a spot on the BBC s leader debates.

Shouldn't you be running along and giving him the attention he expects?

The other parties have to put different candidates up for interviews so people can get a more rounded view of who they might choose to vote for. They should insist on doing the same with Reform.

My first and probably last post on this subject, and I haven't read any of the previous posts (well almost none of them) I just wanted to say - If Farage was one of the good guys, why did he put a candidate up against " Andrew Bridgen"?

2 hours ago, Prettytom said:

Have a look at the patronising comments on here. There’s a distinct  pattern from some of the righties.

And yes, attacking someone because they are a woman is misogyny. Also, attacking someone because of their race, or racial characteristics is racism.

It is important to call things like that out, I think.

Who is attacking her because she is a woman?

Folk are having a go because of her gob, hypocrisy and politics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1