1. 1. How will you be voting in the General Election 2024

• Conservative
    • Green
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Reform
    • Other / Independent
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Is your vote the same or different to how you voted in the last General Election

• The Same
    • Different

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

I'm fully in favour of Labour's stance, primarily because I believe in equality of opportunity. The Tories say they want equality of opportunity, but their policies suggest otherwise.

Is it Tories who have put the VAT on the private schools ?

5 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

I see this accusation on other forums by lefties and I find it odd that because she is a woman and you criticise her, it's obviously because you are a misogynist. It's lazy and also incredibly condescending to women.

It's a man thing.  It really is.  I think it's genetic.  But rest easy, Al, because although many men on the right have misogyny running through them like a stick of Bridlington rock, by far the most vicious attacks directed at politically active women who've had the temerity to stand up for, for example, their sex and their sex-based rights have come from our friends on the left.   See the statement Rosie Duffield released today.

There's an interesting article from Victoria Smith here, most of which I could have written myself.  For those keen on a more comforting and familiar source, Sonia Sodha makes similar points in The Observer here, as well as providing the essential context that seems to have flown over many left-leaning manly heads.

From Victoria Smith's article:

It is sad to admit, but it seems lefty men cannot be trusted with anything. I write as one of those weary ex-liberal feminists, who once lived in the fantasy land where the interests of “progressive” men generally mapped onto my own. They hated gender norms? Me too! They found masculinity stultifying and oppressive? Good for them! They were all for “my body, my choice”? Brilliant!

Sure, there were some areas where I remained a little uncertain (their “respect” for those in the sex industry seemed somewhat suspicious) and they never seemed terribly interested in the more mundane aspects of feminism such as care work or pensions inequality. I never thought these men were full-on feminists, but I did believe they had compassion for women, didn’t view us as walking stereotypes, and would not misrepresent feminist arguments for their own gains. I don’t think any of that now. ...

Personally, I am genuinely sad that so many men — some of them former friends — could not be trusted in the way that I once thought. It feels as though the respect they had for women relied, not on a shared sense of humanity, but purely on in-group social norms, and the moment it became socially acceptable for them to turn on us, they did. Obviously, #notallleftymen — but enough to demonstrate why so many safeguards need to be in place.

We shouldn’t be here, but we are. If some of the “radicalised” are partly to blame — and I admit that we are — it is only because we thought better of the men attacking us now. We thought you were good people and you weren’t. That’s what changed us. That’s all on you.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

Why should private companies be exempt from VAT?

If the private company is providing  a non luxury  service such as education or funerals then there is  a good argument for them to be exempt from VAT.  Do you think VAT should be charged by funeral directors because they are currently exempt from VAT?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

So it was ok for Keir  Starmer to attend one but not others from  so called working class backgrounds ?

Not sure but when Keir Starmer started at the grammar school he did - it wasn't fee paying.

5 minutes ago, Wing Commander said:

If the private company is providing  a non luxury  service such as education or funerals then there is  a good argument for them to be exempt from VAT.  Do you think VAT should be charged by funeral directors because they are currently exempt from VAT?

I see no reason why they should be exempt.

Official documents link two former Conservative work and pensions ministers – including would-be party leader Penny Mordaunt – to a government cover-up of how a disabled man took his own life after being wrongly found fit for work.

This deserves to be much more widely known about, but people who are out of work and receipt of benefits are now regarded as second class citizens, therefore it will be ignored.

3 hours ago, Bellatrix said:

It's a man thing.  It really is.  I think it's genetic.  But rest easy, Al, because although many men on the right have misogyny running through them like a stick of Bridlington rock, by far the most vicious attacks directed at politically active women who've had the temerity to stand up for, for example, their sex and their sex-based rights have come from our friends on the left.   See the statement Rosie Duffield released today.

There's an interesting article from Victoria Smith here, most of which I could have written myself.  For those keen on a more comforting and familiar source, Sonia Sodha makes similar points in The Observer here, as well as providing the essential context that seems to have flown over many left-leaning manly heads.

From Victoria Smith's article:

Hmmm. Meanwhile, back in the real world. This is what is happening.